Chow Halls

EClark

• Replies 51
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

At Lakenheath the we had a 15 minute nuc. alert commitment. Alert acft. mx. was part of my job. About once a month would call the MSgt. NCOIC to advise several of us intended to visit about lunch time. He was a smart guy and always asked the alert mess hall supvr. to do something special for us. So six or seven of us enlisted pukes would go through the chow line with the alert crews (pilots'/wsos') while they got pork or hamburger we got steak. Not surprising this caused some grumbling in the ranks. Don't think they ever figured out was the hell was going on.

Oh yea, almost forgot, best mess hall. Several come to mind. At Incerlik in the early 60s there was a small mess hall across the street from the swimming pool. At the time it was open the SSgts and above. The fruits and vegtables were out of this world. In the early 70s TAC begain converting GI type mess halls to a more civilian decor. Booths, curtains, tablecloths, ect. Perhaps most important, the AF begain sending selected cooks to highly regarded civilian culinary arts schools. The first one of these uprated mess halls was at Shaw. Was assigned TAC Hqs at the time. We would check out a 131and fly to Shaw for lunch. The food was well worth the trip. Lastly the facility at RM was also great. Every Sun. morning was steak and eggs. The mess hall was about half a block from our barracks. Any longer, would not have made it as was not over the Saturday night partying in downtown Frankfort.

Edited by larry myers
left out a work

While "racked and stacked" at the Kohbar Towers we always made it a point to swipe the crew truck and head over to "Lucky Base". For some reason the buncha' trailer doobers they pushed together at the towers was bargain basement stuff, sometimes safer to just live with the MRE's (those days what I wouldn't give for a C-Rat!). Last few years in the "war" I spent some time at Hurlburt - man was that really Grade A grub.

Fleagle

Oh yeah! Who's still got their P-38!?

Rowdy, I only spent a few days at Khobar, but I do remember the "Khobar Option" chow hall (I think it was called that), man, that was some brutal stuff they served there!

Ahh the ol AlYamamma Hotel.

Have some pretty funny memory's of that place LOL

Dont miss the Camel burgers at all though, ate the hell out of the grilled cheese sandwiches and chocolate moose.

elfoneID.jpg

SAC Maintenance worked graves, primarily, so we gathered in the coffee shop about 2330.....there was always this one CC that stayed up all day and had an espresso with 4 sugars before we left for work. Until about 0430 he was pinging off the walls, after that he was like a deflated balloon, almost had to load him in the Suburban for the trip back to the hotel.

Camel burgers? Now you tell me!

I still have my card someplace and still have my "get out of jail slip" in my wallet.

Boy Pat, ya rang some bells long silent for me . Yep Incirlik was great, i think that is where I got to likin' salad bars, Wake was great, in '72. Don't remember the momma san at Taklhi though............A mind is a terrible thing..............

load clear

I forgot all about the Alert Pad chow hall when I was in SAC @ Wurtsmith AFB in Michigan pulling alert with KC-135A models. They did have some good grub in the hole.

I don't miss heating water, dumping water and refilling water one bit on those A models..

How about the "kobi beef" (bufflo) sandwiches at Udorn?

Muff

Don't you remember, there are no stray dogs in SEA.

How about Baby Sans down in the 800 area at TSN transit barracks? She made a pretty good hoagie -must have stole the lettuce and tomatoes from the chow hall!! Can't forget the afternoon barbeques we had at CRB also that is if someone was able to grab a case of steaks! I always ran out of my beer ration early!-Camping out on Herky Hill

I cant say anything about chow halls - but the best donut I ever had was when we kids had to wait for our dad on occassion at the MAC terminal at Clark. We only had to go out there every once in a while, but I looked forward to having that donut and stealing a sip or three of coffee.

Sewart AFB had a good chow hall the NCO Club had a great lunch and dinner. As a sgt E-4 we was welcome. The Flight line snack bar was real good. The Bowling alley snack bar was real good also.

Edited by EClark
Add on

While "racked and stacked" at the Kohbar Towers we always made it a point to swipe the crew truck and head over to "Lucky Base". For some reason the buncha' trailer doobers they pushed together at the towers was bargain basement stuff, sometimes safer to just live with the MRE's (those days what I wouldn't give for a C-Rat!). Last few years in the "war" I spent some time at Hurlburt - man was that really Grade A grub.

Fleagle

Oh yeah! Who's still got their P-38!?

I still have my P-38 on my key ring. As I recall I had some pretty good chow aboard a Swift Boat out of CRB.

Sonny

Jerry, you're right about that 2 striper. Looks like he ate many of Dang's Ham and Cheese sandwiches. Speaing of Dang. I was there in December of 1969. We flew some ROK's into Viet Nam on Cristmas day. We got back just before Dang closed up and she took all of us to her house and put on a great spread for us. that is the best food I had eaten in some time. Here's one more look at the Chow Hall at CCK. Enjoy.

Wil

• 9 months later...
  • 4 weeks later...