MC-130J Future?

Tico29

I'm finishing up a white jet tour and I've been assigned to the MC-130J. As Air Force standard goes, I don't know a damn thing about the future plans of this airplane and I can't find any information anywhere. What's worse is that I'm pretty sure "they" aren't sure about the training flow. I was expecting to attend a shortened version of J model training and then start a mission oriented training on the MC-130J. But, it looks like they've set me up to attend the entire J model course to include the airdrop and airland portions. It makes no sense to me and makes me wonder if they are making us go through the entire training because they aren't sure what else to do with us until the new airplanes show up. As far as I know, none have actually been completed yet. I would love to know if anyone anyone has any more information out there, or if there is someone on the forum headed to the MC-130J.

White jet tour?? How could you evaluate the MC-130J (a SOF acft) if you don't fully understand the SOF mission - all manner of air drops, helo A/R, infil/exfil, et al?

Jeffysan -- you know damn well that is the process -- don't put anyone in charge that has a clue to what the mission is -- only someone that can move up the ranks.

Yep, fully aware - painfully so as you may recall. Purposely steered clear of that argument in my remarks as I think those are rocks the current folks should throw - not we who have already had our day in the sun. I mean, other than the fact that we still care a great deal about the program & mission, we really don't have a dog in that fight anymore.

Jeffysan- I'm not trying to evaluate anything about the MC-130J. I know very little (other than what I've heard from a few MC-130 guys) about the mission. All I'm trying to get is some information on why I'm going through the entire C-130J course and what the training plans look like after Little Rock. Does Kirtland have a MC-130J program set up yet? Have they received a shipment of planes? Just looking for info...

"I was expecting to attend a shortened version of J model training and then start a mission oriented training on the MC-130J. But, it looks like they've set me up to attend the entire J model course to include the airdrop and airland portions. It makes no sense to me and makes me wonder if they are making us go through the entire training because they aren't sure what else to do with us until the new airplanes show up."

That's my point - as well as Skip's - shortened training vs. full up initial qualification course on the acft, then mission qualification(s) course. There should no short cuts to qualification in this business. The mission is far too complex & varied. It's a "been there, done that" kind of thing.

I see your point and I do agree that training should never be shortened. I think that happens way too often especially with the cost cutting and all. I guess my thinking was that an initial J model course that included only an instrument check and a landing check would be good enough considering the differences that exist in the formation and airdrop procedures between the regular slick 130 and the MC-130. But, again, I could be wrong. Perhaps they are similar, and in that case the long J model course would make sense.

Thing is, the 'J' ain't your daddy's Herk. It's all glass, automated & totally different than any version before it. The 'H' & 'J' share the same beer can, but that's about the end of the similarities. Suggest you contact someone who's qualified in the 'J' to get the ungarbled word from them. Then, talk to some Talon & Shadow guys & discuss the comparison between the SOF mission & tac airlift. Once you've done that I think you'll have a far better idea of what you're up against with your MC-130J assignment.

The full course at Little Rock is exactly what you need, plus the mission specific course at Kirtland. I don't know your background, but there have been some pilots that came through the short course or even worse, the senior officer course, that are continually behind the airplane. There is a whole new skill set involved in flying the SOF mission, or any mission for that matter, in this airplane. There is not very much wasted time when you get to the flying portion at the 48th. Ask around, the full course is worth it.

I flew the C-130H/E before the white jet tour. Most of my buddies do agree that the J model is a whole new airplane when it comes to the interior. Sck166 thanks for your input. I'll take your word for it that the extra training is worth it in the long run. I don't mind it at all, just wish I had some kind of a game plan and some reasoning as to why they are sending me down this path. Now if only someone knew a MC-130J pilot that has been through all the training and could tell me what to expect, that would be sweet....

Tico29,

according to the press releases I been following the first MC-130J airframe is not due for delievery until summmer 2012. And that not count the time for intial testing & evals than onto training and the workup to operational capability. Hope this helps and little.

OEO

Go on the Global and look up Hurlburt and 9 SOS Pilot distro list and send them an email there are quite a few of our pilots that are qualified on the J. As of right now they are duel qualed on MC-P and C-J. They fly EC-130J just to stay qualified and as of right now there have been no MC-130J aircraft delivered. We are slated to start PCSing our J qualified guys next year to Cannon where they will get the first aircraft and set up the TTP's for the MC-130J and go from there. Hope this helps.

Never pass up training. No matter how much you think you already know, it is a base to build upon. There's already a downward spiral of experience in AFSOC due to the rapid growth and changing priorities - training counts.

Even if your terminal area employment is different, you will have a base to build off of instead of nothing.

More training is always good.