New Eng!

1685FCC

Hey all. Finally, after two years of the retraining experience I've arrived and completed my initial checkride as a FE! Great feeling, but I know a lot of work remains; however, I'm going to enjoy this little victory! Just thought I would share.

Have a good one everyone!

Dave

Congratulations! I remember my first qualified trip without an instructor. Kinda strange to look over at the bunk and its empty for the first time. (C-141)

You know, I was thinking the same thing. I've been used to looking over my shoulder, and will be at least through indoc, but yeah, it will be wierd not having that extra safety buffer there, I guess. On the same hand, I kinda can't wait to get out there on my own and start proving myself to the rest of the crew.

1685FCC,

Congrats on being a qualified FE. It's the best job in the world, bar none. I still remember my first emergency in-flight shut down without an instructor. It was in the closed pattern at Dyess -- I was soooo far behind the power curve. I promised myself that would never happen again -- & it never did.

I used to fly with an IP that would tell his co-pilots that when he gets to the left seat & looks to his left for help, all he'll see is his reflection in the window.

Don R.

Indoc, hope its smooth for you. Should be painless, few orientation flights (although you flew at LR and are staying at LR), then get on your way. Get through that, get out on your own...local stuff gets old, but is what it is...experience. Get on a few TDY's, work hard play hard...good time crew dogging it up!

Prior Crew Chief? don't forget those guys...just got back from a 2 wk trip to Eglin. It was like 100 degress 100% humidity. Takes a bit after engine start to get our stuff fired up in the back (dragon spear mod'ed plane). Well, CC was out to marshall us, we opened the door invited him in to sit in the AC instead of melt on the line....He was dumbstruck....

Also had a wing fuel leak out there, plane went to fuel cell for a day. No flying for us, but MX had to work, aircrew had fun that day, lot of seafood and beer. However, we brought our maintainers a few cases of beer on ice next day after the plane was fixed, flew a 2.0 and brought it back A-1, short enough the ice didn't melt all the way...little things like that go a long way....

Sure you'll hear "stay in the books" alot. Don't know about you, but my pubs bag is heavy, Ileave it at my desk. I got an extra -1 from the pubs shop, leave it at the house, bust it open every know and then, knock the cobwebs off the cranium. Beats carrying it home all the time

Again, good for you, and have fun!!

It took you two years to learn to say "Check/Set"????? it only took me six months to learn to say "aboard, closed and checked"!!!!!!!!!!! I expect a thrashin' from my buddy Bob Woods for that!!!!!! Seriously, though, that is a great accomplishment, far as I am concerned. Well done and good luck. I flew with a whole bunch of great FE's, and I still appreciate their knowledge and skills.

load clear

P.

Injunears are highly trained and knowledgable, looking at the newer Hercs it has taken a big ass computer to replace us. Us switcheflippers could always cool you strapstrechers down with the turn of a knob or the flip of a switch. Checked set/out

Or not flip that switch......

Congrats Dave, I completed FE school at Sewart Tenn, just before the move to LR...1969.

When I got back to Pope I flew with the RTU folks...qualifing pilots and navs from other aircraft to the C-130 prior to their assignments to SEA (Clark and CCK). I flew mornings, afternoons and some night flights. two or three days a week many times morning and afternoons. Busted the flying time per month several times.

I gained tons of knowledge and built up flying hour experance....my goal then was to be an IFE....took me a couple of years and finally made it. But there was always others that I flew with that knew soooo much more. When someone gave me a check ride I always used it as a learning experiance as I never seemed to know what they asked....

Have fun it is a great job and you have the best seat in the plane not to mention that you also have control of the heat and air cond temp.

Fly safe and keep your eye on them co-pilots.

Muff

Congrats Dave, I completed FE school at Sewart Tenn, just before the move to LR...1969.

When I got back to Pope I flew with the RTU folks...qualifing pilots and navs from other aircraft to the C-130 prior to their assignments to SEA (Clark and CCK). I flew mornings, afternoons and some night flights. two or three days a week many times morning and afternoons. Busted the flying time per month several times.

I gained tons of knowledge and built up flying hour experance....my goal then was to be an IFE....took me a couple of years and finally made it. But there was always others that I flew with that knew soooo much more. When someone gave me a check ride I always used it as a learning experiance as I never seemed to know what they asked....

Have fun it is a great job and you have the best seat in the plane not to mention that you also have control of the heat and air cond temp.

Fly safe and keep your eye on them co-pilots.

Muff

Thanks Muff, for the advice and the great points. RZ, thanks for setting me straight...lol! Engineer from now on...lol! There is a lot of experience on this board and I enjoy learning and reading all your posts. Thanks again and god speed to you all!

Dave

Way back when I was a crewchief in the 61st at Sewart. The Flight Engineer was the NCOIC on most of the flights I was E-4 and the load was E-4 or E-3 so we depended on him for advice at times. And most of them took care of us green horns on TDY'S. So I say Hats Off the Flt.Eng.

Always seemed rather ironic that we strapstretchers had three college graduates and a career NCO who's only task was to take us and our cargo where it had to go!!!!! AND we were always the last on the bird and the first OFF!!!! Oh, I forgot about the air conditioning thing!!!! MY FE in Nam, Mike Maloney, sometimes forgot where that knob was.....Or turned it the other way....Anyway i am tryin' to show just what a great time you can have workin' with true professionals and good people. I miss it, forty years later, but I am glad to see that the spirit still lives. Oh, yeah, Bob, spell check shows that there are TWO "E"s in injunear"!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!LMAO!!!!!!!!!!

Congrats Dave! Just saw Wilkes put his wings on on Friday. He was pretty stoked.

I just finished the block one book last night and filling out flash cards. Couldn't get to sleep until after 2300. Everytime I rolled over it was like info was just bouncing around my head trying to get out.

Congrats Dave! Just saw Wilkes put his wings on on Friday. He was pretty stoked.

I just finished the block one book last night and filling out flash cards. Couldn't get to sleep until after 2300. Everytime I rolled over it was like info was just bouncing around my head trying to get out.

Thanks Serg! Dude I know what you mean man! Trust me that it will get worse before it gets better...LOL! So, is Wilkes going to Herks as well? I forgot all about that cat retraining. Take it easy bud and good luck down there man!

Dave