planes on Eglin

topboltsto400

Just spent two weeks at Eglin doing some test lines on one of the Dragon Spear planes that just got mod'ed.

Drove past a few planes, curious if anyone knew anything about them....looks like an E-model is parked out there, kinda behind the climate test hangar, off the main drag near the gun test spot. Anyone know what that plane is up to/history/story etc?

Also there was a C-27 (i think) parked right in front of it. Watched 'em take it apart, put it on a truck and disappear. Any info on that? Heard it had a fuel line rupture, messed up the wing, grounded it...the windows were blacked out.

Just curious...thanks!

As far as I know they were doing some of the weapons testing for the program you are working on with the slick and I have no clue what they were doing with the C-27. I think they were gonna do weapons testing on it until they decided we did not need a C-27 gunship.

Yep, the E-model is 63-7872. I too watched the Chuck slowly get torn down. I think the Chuck was involved in the ill-fated "Stinger" gunship proposal, and I think the Herk is involved in gun tests as well, as it's parked next to A-22, which is the main gun test site, and the fact that the LH external is removed, making it easier to do "stuff" on the left side of the airplane.

Yep, the E-model is 63-7872. I too watched the Chuck slowly get torn down. I think the Chuck was involved in the ill-fated "Stinger" gunship proposal, and I think the Herk is involved in gun tests as well, as it's parked next to A-22, which is the main gun test site, and the fact that the LH external is removed, making it easier to do "stuff" on the left side of the airplane.

7872 was a great plane in '66. I was the acc on her when she was at McGuire.