December 4, 1970. Bad configuration, bad weather, long landing

alanwbaker

Alan, did you have a Flight Engineer on that flight back to Boen Hoa? If so why didn't he hit you a good one up the side of the head...welcome home glad you were LUCKY enough to make it back.

Muff

Muff,

Naw, that landing wasn't luck--it was just unusual. Much safer than going around. My FE (Bruno Fronzaglio) was DNIF so I had a new FE named Carress. Sharp guy--he'd seen it all. Hmm, I did feel a little breeze after landing--he may have just missed my head. :)

Alan

Bruno Fronzaglio

Bruno was a good friend of mine...haven't heard his name for over 20 years. Great guy, wonder what he is up to these days. He and I were stationed at Mactan/Clark mid 60s,

and again at CCK early 70s.

Muff

Bruno was on my crew for most of my CCK tour. He was a great FE and I flew more missions with him than any other. I think of him often. Take a look at this story and scroll down to the last picture.

http://alanbaker.net/vietnam/phnompenh.html

I also did a little Googling and found his name at this link. Looks like he retired to Donora, PA.

http://monarch76.proboards.com/index.cgi?board=headers&action=print&thread=275

I can recall John Grillo (345TAS) telling a bar story about landing a Herk in the last 3000' at Korat AB in late 72 or early 73. According to the story John carried an extraction chute that he would rig in the bomb shackle and deploy at fighter bases. He would then have Transient Alert repack the chute.

The story around the community is that the Fighter Wing Commander at Korat had a policy of having thier SOF personally counsel fighter pilots who landed long. John's story is that he suggested the SOF should "go to hell" when the SOF attempted to "explain" the base policy.

That sure would be John Grillo...always a fun guy to be around, only great memories about John, remember the true story about him getting a speeding ticket for riding his bicycle too fast?

I have not heard a word about John since the mid 1970s----anyone know where he might be?

John was the guy who got our frag orders/directions over the phone from the Paris peace talks for our mission to Hanoi the day after the cease fire.

Muff