50% Flaps on Engine Runs?

slickum17

Hi, slickum17

If my memory is correct: The 50% is to relieve stresses imposed on the tail section of the airplane during the Engine Runs.

I Read it somewhere, and I will try to find and post the reference.

Edited by tenten
Name correction

No surprise many procedures have changed since my day, 60s-70s. In those days, the engine run cklist. called for flaps up. If you were observed running engines with flaps in any position other than full up, you were, in most instances, hauled on the carpet. The concern was excessive heat on the 20 man life rafts. In any case seems to me the flaps are more fragile that the tail. Recall we had some mission profiles were we flew with 10% flaps. As a result, flaps were beat up enough to require depot level mx. usually at the next phase insp. Our sheet metal shop was outstanding, accomplishing this mx. without removing affected flaps from the wing.

Edited by larry myers
changed a word

Yes, larry...

In your days the “Run†was with flaps up.

So… it is a matter of distributing the load, 30 years “hitting†tail, and… 30 years “hitting†flaps;……. fair and logic.

Note: (we may use the correct word…… other than “hittingâ€â€¦.. “Casey is busy with the website†;)

For The amount of time I have on the Herc(13yrs), we have always put the flaps down to 50% to keep the airflow off the tail which helps the plane from bouncing around when at high power(above 8000lbs of torque) which helps with stress on the tail and when carrying out prop balancing.

Herc 308

Darrell

Yes, larry...

In your days the “Run†was with flaps up.

So… it is a matter of distributing the load, 30 years “hitting†tail, and… 30 years “hitting†flaps;……. fair and logic.

Note: (we may use the correct word…… other than “hittingâ€â€¦.. “Casey is busy with the website†;)

OK, ten I get it. So when do we go to 100% flaps?:)

Damn that's the worst traing I ever had to do was give you guys "jump chock" training it was like low level in extream turbulence!

Skip, If your talking about the 37th, am sure I was one of those knuckhead crew chiefs to whom you gave said training. Was well aware how happy you drivers were to provide such activity. :) At the time I thought it was good training, as many engine run troops had never experienced jumping chocks, how to avoid it, had no idea how fast it happened and how far the acft. would travel.

Been there, done that. Hard on the blood pressure. First time running an A model, in the parking spot in front of the hanger, advanced thottles to crossover. Acft. jumped chocks heading for hanger doors. Darn good thing reverse worked. Must have been at least six hands on the throttles. By the time we got it stopped it was back on the spot. Come to find out when the dummy in the FM seat shut down the GTC he also shut down the ATM which in turn disabled the emergency brakes. One other time was running on a very slippery winter ramp and the acft. started to slide and simply pushed the chocks out. Deliberate throttle movement, keeping one eye outside, ramp fuel load, and adquate ramp in front of acft. keep me out of hot water, at least as far a eng. runup was concerned. Not talking about the rest.

At Langley someone dreamed up a homemade steel runup chock. Was never a fan. Someone managed to get an acft. on top of this chock, ruining the tire and wheel and causing much uneeded excitment. On the other hand any faith the wooden chock was going to stop the excersion was badly misplaced. Was a big fan of continuing training and awareness. Unlike ops. there was no recurring checkride. When I got to Langley, spent about 20 mins. in the simulator, and magic,was engine run qualified.

..............and I liked it when the machine was bouncing up and down during high power runs. The feeling was good and the thing wanted to escape on you!!......................... Do you recall the needles on the gauges, moving up and down. ........trying to get a good reading!!.....................John Boy

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...