medal and was the founder of the Ira Eaker Chapter of the Distinguished

Flying Cross society. He is survived by his wife, Mary; two daughters,

Debra Alexander of Meridian, Miss., and Deanne Walls of Smyrna, Tenn.;

five sons, Mike, Steve, Gary, and Jeff all of Murfreesboro Tenn., and

Jeremy of Cabot, Ark.; two sisters, Theresa Roseberry of California and

Cecilia Simonds of Akron Ohio; and 16 grandchildren and 17

great-grandchildren. Service will be Friday, August 20, 1 p.m. at the

Arkansas State Veterans' Cemetery, 1501 W Maryland Ave., North Little

Rock, Ark. Sign online guest book at www.woodbeanfh.com. Arrangements by Wood Bean Family Memorial Center, 2620 W Main St., Jacksonville, Ark. (501) 982-3400.

I'm sorry to hear about JCF102's passing. Jim was one of the first guys I got in contact when I got on AOL way back around 1996 and did a search for "C-130" members. He was in the 774th at Clark when I was in the 779th. I met him through Chuck Monahagn. If I remember right, he was Chuck's instructor on his first flight in-country. Chuck came to Clark on a "Join Spouse" assignment and didn't go through RTU. He had to go through the whole process at Clark because he had never flown Herks - he had been on Shakeys at Kelly. Stony Burk and I had come in without RTU too but had C-130 experience and they put the three of us through an FTD course. We had class outside and all we really did was tell war stories so Monahagn learned about the airplane from us. Jim was the OJT supervisor in the 774th and we met him through Chuck. Because Chuck had just come off of Shakeys, Jim took him under his wing. We are also both on COMMANDO VAULT crews. He went pretty far back as a loadmaster. If I remember correctly, he started out at Donaldson after coming out of air freight at Thule or some other God-forsaken place way up north. He was a C-124 troop before he went to Sewart. I'm not sure where he came to Clark from but he was always harping about how he always made out his Form Fs in moments. If he did, he was the only person I ever knew outside of MAC who did and I seriously doubt that he filled one out on every leg like he claimed. I had heard through the grapevine that he had some health issues but he was vague about it in his Emails.