Old Times

dgw39

Spent a few hours at Dover AFB a few weeks ago. They have an H Model don' know the tail No. But got up into the Flight Deck and 20 Years went by. I went through the whole check list. knew every switch and knob by memory. Every time a 130 flys over my house my wife asks if I would still like to be up in that old bird and of course I am way ahead of her. Loved that airplane from the first Roman Nose A's to the last H's I flew and worked on.

DGW, know just how you feel with my experience last weekend at martisnburg. That old e model will soon be scrapped, but it sure took me back to once again, and most likley for the final time, be on board a C-130E, that I may have actually flown, but guess i can't ever ebsure because iwas too dumb to keep any such record. One thing, though, I find it common among flight crew members and maintenance folks( who I ALWAYS had great respect for,because if they didn't work their asses off in all kinds of conditions, i could never have had so much fun) they remember so much from so long ago. I think that is,in part, due to the training and experience, just like ridin' a bike. Whaddya think?

load clear

Giz

I just hate it when you guys start these reminiscing threads. Like dwg39 said, every time a C-130 goes over, I also have to wander outside to check it out. Sometimes the NOAA P-3 based at MacDill will mess with my head, though. I was at Dyess when we got the FY74 H-models. They were state of the art C-130's back then; APU, big AC packs, etc. Picked up a couple at the factory and, I swear, they did smell like a new car!!!

I have a FE check airman friend with Lynden Air Cargo. They use the CAE simulator here at Tampa & I sometimes drive out there for a visit when he's teaching a recurrent or new hire class. I can sit in that FE seat & I can remember everything -- but I can't remember what I had for dinner last night! I can also remember how much I hated sim rides.

Don R.

I can just imagine how much you guys can remember about your old C-130 days. I was only a crew chief on them for 4 years and can still smell the smells, and hear the sounds like I just walked away from the flight line . I'll bet that I can still open the landing gear doors and start the GTC. I'll bet that I could do a decent BPO and Preflight !!! With the checklist of course!!!! Last time I was on one was 1970!! I can't hear worth a damn anymore, but when one flies over (rarely), I run outside and take a look!!!

Ken

T-56s do indeed sound great but so does the TF-30P100 running in zone 5.

That F-111F motor was cool too bad it liked to throw turbine blades. I had a lot of fun running those motors, by the way you can bang first stage burner without tieing it down, just had to be really carefull. :) Don't forget to make sure the sp truck isn't behind you. T-56s where fun too.

Hea! I live in Macon Ga. in line with the north south runway Robins A.F.B. it about 15 miles I can't get anything done when those fans of freedom come over and the C-5 and all the big boys line up.There gear is down when they come over.I just have to check them out take some pic's.

If you ever get a chance, visit the Central Georgia Aviation Museum at Warner-Robins. They've got an entire C-130A fuselage built into the building that they use for school groups, etc. It was a Tachi bird. There is an A and an E on display at Dyess, but they're inside the gate. I believe they also have an A at Little Rock. There is a B at the Medina Annex to Lackland that is being used to train loadmasters, engineers, boomers, etc. in the enlisted aircrew training school.

Hay Larry what the TF-30P100 Eng. on a J-Model?

davis, No dave, although it would probably increase the rate of climb don't think J truss mounts would take the power. If I had to choose it would be the T56 since I knew how to work on it. Didn't know anything about the TF30 except it was unreliable and a bear to work on. One good thing was in zone 5 (max. afterburner) you could roast marshmallows at 50 feet.

Hi Jansen

I talked to the Director of the Greenwood Museum last week. He said he did not know when the AF was going to release it. Then they have quite a few projects under way now. He is hoping for next summer.

Thanks for posting the list.

I noticed I had 62-1848 in the body of the list at Little Rock, It has since been moved to Selfridge ANGB MC. I noted it at the bottom of the list and forgot to correct it above. Too many computers and Old Timers Disease. Happy Hour comes early here in Texas.

Bob

Maybe we should add a Museum tab to AllHerks16? :D

A lot of the new Canadian J-models are going back for modifications, I am hearing it could be after 609 comes in that they start retiring more of the older E-models. Officially, at least, as I am hearing there are quite a few that are close to the 50k mark that are being held only in reserve.

http://www.codeonemagazine.com/news_item.html?item_id=155

A wingless C-130B Hercules is towed down Hercules Drive on 20 August 2010 prior to installation as a static display on the grounds of the 145th Airlift Wing, the North Carolina Air National Guard unit at the Charlotte/Douglas Airport outside of Charlotte. The aircraft, sporting a Vietnam War-era camouflage scheme, underwent hundreds of hours of refurbishment prior to the move. Now in its permanent place, the aircraft’s wings, engines, and propellers will be reinstalled.

2010_09_11_News_C130_Move_1269967624_405