Indian Air Force Hercules Thread

Jansen

Noticed that there wasn't an Indian Air Force thread yet, so I thought I'd start one up! The IAF has ordered six herks to support missions for Special Operations Forces, which come with a probe for aerial refueling and a new variant code (50J).

There are rumors of many more orders to come as well. I should point out that these are the first herks ever for India.

I had received information that yesterday was to be the first flight test for #5638, but it turns out that it was only engine run-up tests and the real flight tests will start next month. A shame, as the first three (#5638-#5640) have been sitting on the tarmac since the beginning of August. The next three built after the IAF birds will be going to Dyess and have already started flight testing.

5014988140_665b61678b_o.jpg

• 2 weeks later...

"The first of six C-130J Super Hercules for India was flown for the first time on 4 October 2010. A company flight crew made the four-hour flight from the Lockheed Martin facility adjacent to Dobbins ARB in Marietta, Georgia. After a series of company and customer flight tests, this aircraft is scheduled for delivery to AFS Hindon, near Delhi, in December. The second and third Indian J-models are expected to be flown by early November. The six air refuelable C-130Js, which feature Indian Air Force titles in English on the right side of the fuselage and Hindi on the left (as shown here), will give the Indian Army and Air Force new special operations capabilities".

2010_10_04_C130J_India_FirstFlight_12699

Picture is of KC-3801, by John Rossino

• 2 months later...

India’s next three C-130Js have now reached the final production positions at the Lockheed Martin Marietta facility. These aircraft will join the previous three, which are already in flight test prior to deliveries that will begin later this month. The first C-130J for India will be formally delivered on Dec. 16 at a ceremony in Marietta. Two will be flown to India in early 2011, while two more will arrive in early summer and the last two will be delivered in late summer of 2011

Final 3:

5653 KC-3804

5654 KC-3805

5655 KC-3806

Picture: http://www.flickr.com/photos/lockheedmartin/5247459098/sizes/o/in/photostream/

4 just went to the paint barn a day or two ago. 5 & 6 are still in final assembly. Week or so before 5 hits the paint barn, then pretty much double that,(maybe triple with the holidays coming) for 6 to make it to the paint barn.

Good update from another thread.

• 1 month later...

Mystery tail: The rightmost tail in the attached picture has 5623 on it, anybody have any details? I have no information on that tail number.

I couldn't open the link but, according to Lars' book, msn 5623 is 07-8609 of the 37th TAS.

Don R.

The font didn't look like the one used by the USAF, so I was curious as the aircraft was on the Dobbins ARB flightline. A comparison with the lettering matches that used by the RNoAF. Guess it was there for some maintenance or mods, but it seemed out of place. The number looked like 5623 to me, I guess that's why we have second opinions.

Link to picture from Flickr: First India C-130J Departs

Norway also has 5601 and 5607. Their nicknames are Idunn, Frigg, Nanna, and Siw.

• 3 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...
  • 4 weeks later...