Dragon Rouge Film

SamMcGowan

I have discovered a number of films online from the 1964 Dragon Rouge Congo rescue mission and have posted links to them on the TCTAA site - www.troopcarrier.org.

One film is of Captain Gonzales' crew arriving back at Leopoldville with the first survivors of the brutal massacre. Several Pope airplanes are in the films, and a number of crew members and maintenance personnel are visibile in some clips. Capt. Gonzales and his crew were flying 63-7795 that day. It is apparently used as a ground trainer somewhere now, possibly Little Rock. Whoever is using it needs to be aware that it is one of the most historic of all Herks. The Dragon Rouge operation has never been equaled and probably (hopefully) never will be.

SEM

It turns out that there are a whole series of film clips from DRAGON ROUGE. I knew the mission was documented on film but had no idea where to look. None of these films were shown at Pope in commander's call, at least if they were, I was TDY somewhere. Go to the links page on www.troopcarrier.org and click on the one that I have marked as the first in the series and watch them in order. There are a lot of great shots of those shiny silver C-130Es! At that time, most of those airplanes were barely a year from the Lockheed assembly lines. The clips are for sale but I've not dealt with these people and don't know if they are all on one DVD/VHS or if you have to order each one seperately. If anyone recognizes someone, please let us know who. I recognize several faces but not necessarily the names, except for Capt. Gonzales.

I recognize one of my buddies, McGee, who was in the Triple Seventh. He must have forgot his fatigue cap because he's wearing his cunt cap with fatigues. McGee was from Tennessee and just a little bit on the wild side. I remember him bringing back some moonshine from a visit home. One time he got somebody to buy some Southern Comfort at the NCO Club and we got drunk as skunks on Rusty Nails. That was one of the times I puked my guts out!