E Models a few questions

bobdaley

Last count there were about 43 E models still flying in the USAF.

A few questions:

Anyone know what the future is for the PRANG? I did not see them on the C-27 lists.

Why are there 2 E model squadrons at Little Rock in AMC 53 and 61 when AMC has only about 18 E's? Just slots for lt col's?

What does AFSOC do with the 3 slick E's at Hurlburt? 62-1857 and 63-7815 and 16. Haul trash? If it is a secret don't answer.

Last count AETC 16, AMC 18, AFSOC 3, PRANG 6

Bob

Bob, last I heard the PRANG is still going away. I understand they bought a little more life after the Haiti earthquake though. The 53rd and 61st do fly E models although they are in the process of getting some of the Dyess H1s. I would say there are 3 or 4 there now. AFSOC uses the E models as bounce birds I think. They go shoot some pro work or do Nav legs in them. I could be wrong on that one though.

Bob, last I heard the PRANG is still going away. I understand they bought a little more life after the Haiti earthquake though. The 53rd and 61st do fly E models although they are in the process of getting some of the Dyess H1s. I would say there are 3 or 4 there now. AFSOC uses the E models as bounce birds I think. They go shoot some pro work or do Nav legs in them. I could be wrong on that one though.

Two H1's here at LR: 74-1664 and 74-1677

The 53rd is supposed to be the "owners" of the H1s, and the 61st will keep the E models. At this time, the 53rd and the 61st are the only ones at LRF that are qualified in the H1s, the 50th will qualify later. The grand scheme was the 53rd to be H1, 61st to be E (until they convert to J), and the 50th to stay H3. But, I'm sure that will change in the near future...

At this time, the 53rd and the 61st are the only ones at LRF that are qualified in the H1s, the 50th will qualify later.

Are you talking about flight crews here? For maintenance, I didn't know there was a qualification distinction between H1,H2, and H3's. At least for engine runs, I thought they were all the same. I do understand the differences though, as I have worked on all 3 airframes. MACAWS and CAP are only minor adjustments that the H3 brings as far as engine run differences. Right now, the 62nd is in the process of recieving H2's as the E's slowly disappear. I don't know if the timetable is sensitive information or not, but needless to say, the E model's life at Little Rock is soon to come to an end. As the need for Non-AMP training starts to dwindle, the H2's will go back to where they came from, and the Guard will completely take over all the H-model training.