62-1788

154load

Our Ops Group Commader is requesting information on one of our old airplanes, 62-1788. I was hoping some of you may be able to help out. The active duty here at LR is taking the airplane to the boneyard next week. Apparently they have a reporter who will be flying with the crew to Davis Monthan to witness the airplane be delivered to the boneyard. This reporter is looking for historical info on the airplane for the article. Since we had the airplane for over 20 years, the active duty has referred this reporter to us for the information. We do not have any historical info on this tail so I am appealing to you all for help.

Looks like Muff Millen is the man to request info from. He wrote the following, post #9 on the attached link:

http://herkybirds.com/showthread.php?1024-62-1787-spare-617

Other tail # that came the WV was 62s 1788 over 80 hits, shoved off the run way with a dozer..

As of November 2008 1788 was still hacking it at Little Rock. The crew had a four engine roll-back but due to their skill and experiance were able to recover and land safely.

Another dtory about that great plane was it getting mortored at Dalat the last day of the VN war...suffering more that 400 shrapnel wounds....Our crew fixed a blown tire and flew it back to NKP on three engines. (see below)

That airplane {s.n. 62-1788} has some great history. It is the plane that helped the crew I was on to be awarded the Silver Star. On the last day of the Vietnam War we went to Dalat - Cam Lai to pick up the VN cadets to take them around country to explain to the locals that the war was over. During engine-running loading of the cadets the base came under heavy mortar fire. This plane was hit on the trailing edge of the left flap and shrapnel was sprayed all over the left side and up on the vertical stab. Left rear main tire blown. After a couple hours in the bunker and a call on the emergency radio another C-130 brought us a new tire and a jack. We had to jump start the GTC {Gas Turbine Compressor} with a FAC {O-1A} birddog battery and we took off, and just after take off had to shut down #2 for a big fuel leak from flap well, lost hyd fluid, cranked gear down and made an emergency landing at NKP {Nakhon Phanom Royal Thai AFB, Thailand} .......airplane had over 400 holes from the shrapnel ..was a very memberable day .....Glad to see that the old girl is still flying. And a big congrats' to this crew for recovering from the 4 engine rollback.

During the period of December 1975 to June 1986 The 130th Possessed and flew this Acft. I'm proud to have about 800 Hours in this acft all over the world. 1788 is a proud bird, was one of our best fliers, In one period i took it on a 90 Hour Jaunt during the El Salvador mess with only one minor riteup. It did fly crooked until it got the new style wings in 82-83 era.

Looks like the whole group 62-1784, 1787 ,1788, 1790, 1795 ,1789 ,1804, 1824 were "hero" birds. I enjoyed my time on them.

RZHill

Sucks, that 1788 is going to the bone yard....she served her time in HELL...and always brought the crews home. If her skin could talk it would take a big book to file all the heroic stories that could be told about that airframe. I am truely hornored to have been one of many who was on a crew that flew her. I sure would have liked to see her placed at the entrance of some base for all to admire and think about the pages of history that she performed.

Muff Millen, CMSgt, USAF (RET)

Former C-130E Instructor Flight Engineer

Hello, Muff. My name is Bobby Dugger I work in the Loadmaster office with Brian (154load) He and I are the Ops historians. He posted this request for me yesterday. (I could not remember my log on name). Thanks for the info. I am trying to put together the story for the news lady right now. I will try and go down this morning and get some photos of the plane if I can find it. I cannot promise they will be very good. It is rainy and foggy here at Little Rock this morning. But I will try and find her. Do you happen to have any photos of any of our E's that we had when they were in Vietnam? Especially 88 . Any would be great. Thanks again for the info. Bobby

Hello, Muff. My name is Bobby Dugger I work in the Loadmaster office with Brian (154load) He and I are the Ops historians. He posted this request for me yesterday. (I could not remember my log on name). Thanks for the info. I am trying to put together the story for the news lady right now. I will try and go down this morning and get some photos of the plane if I can find it. I cannot promise they will be very good. It is rainy and foggy here at Little Rock this morning. But I will try and find her. Do you happen to have any photos of any of our E's that we had when they were in Vietnam? Especially 88 . Any would be great. Thanks again for the info. Bobby

Bobby, do you remember me? I was the guy that you sent all of the pics of 1804 to!

Has 1804 gone to the boneyard yet??

Now let's get back to 88

Ken

Sure I remember you. Sorry I have not been on here lately. We have a new baby and my wife has not been in good health since

his birth, so I have not had much time to set down and keep up with my airplane stuff. I have had my hands full. TO answer your question, 04 is now in the bone yard. I took 63-7811 to the bone yard back in Sepember. That was our last E model. But parked not two far off from our drop off point was 04. It did not look like it had been there long. I can not remember if we took it out there or if the base did. I will try and post photos tonight of it as well as all the herks i took photos of out there in the boneyard.