Acft Tail Codes

DustyRhodes

• 5 years later...
On 12/3/2010 at 0:01 PM, DustyRhodes said:

I can't recall when the tail codes were started either, but it must have been late '67 or early '68. I've seen a photo of an A model from the 21st, with tail code YD, making a drop at Khe Sanh in 1968. Our aircaft at Nha Trang didn't have anything ('67-'70). By the time I left Nha Trang and went to CCK in 1970 the acft there already had them.

Here's a Blind Bat bird on the ramp at Ubon in 1/70:

uf8H4rR.jpg

• 1 year later...
On ‎3‎/‎16‎/‎2011 at 6:53 AM, Sonny said:

When I got to Naha in May 1967 all of the 21st birds (except "E" Flight) had the YD tail code on them. Sonny

No, they didn't Sonny. I took this picture at CRB around May-June 1967 - no tail code. I don't recall ever seeing an airplane with a tail code at Naha - I left in July 1967. However, Gary Peters sent me some pictures he took on COMMANDO LAVA in July and his wingman has brand new paint with a tail code. 

CRB Ramp (3).jpg

Sonny, you must have been seeing things!!

It's kind of odd that so many of us remember things that we obviously didn't see.

When I was at CCK, we had several planes return from IRAN with brand new paint,also without tail codes etc. But within a few days they had their tail letters and numbers on them. 

Sam, you have to agree that almost everything changed -- almost daily, in PACAF. I was stationed in PACAF for 33 months straight and I saw it personally.  

Also, while I am at it, even though flight crews may have been assigned to squadrons and flew all planes of all squadrons, us crew chiefs/maint. guys worked on our assigned planes or planes assigned to our squadrons. 

There, I got that off my chest. 

Ken

Sorry Sam, but I have to disagree with you on this one. I went right to the flight line when I arrived at Naha and the aircraft had tail codes in the 21st. I can't speak for the other 3 squadrons. There may still have been some without tail codes.

• 5 years later...