Hey!! Thats our plane! Funny story now....

In 1967 while stationed at Dyess I was Asst Crew Chief on 63-7821.There was a big operation execise that we were deployed on with other Acft from Dyess and other bases.Part of the operation was hauling all kinds of equipment from Shaw AFB to Ramey AFB Puerto Rico.I was able to take the Acft as the Crew Chief and had one of the other guys go along as my Asst.

It was a long flightand once we got to Ramey we would refuel work the write ups that needed to be worked.Another flt. crew would then fly back to Shaw AFB so us Crew Chiefs started to get pretty tiredand smelly after about the 4th day.Finally they decided to sit my Acft down for 24hrs when we got to Ramey.

After my Asst and I got the Acft BPO completed Acft fueled and all the write ups fixed that needed to be fixedwe changed into our swim suits and headed for the beach which was not too far from the parking area.We left all our clothes on the Acft and we planned on showering and shaving at the Flt Line Fire Stationwhen we got back to the Acft.

We locked the Acft, but we had to put the spare key in the ext. interphone door.While we were swimming and goofing around about an hour later ,I heard this C-130 lifting off the runway and it came right over us. I told my Asst that looks like our Acft. (all you old crew know how you could some how tell your own camoflaged plane from others after being assigned to your particular Acft only somehow you just learned the difference in the paint scheme).

We left the beach and went back to where our Acft was supposed to be parked and sure enough it was gone, clothes was gone billfold gone everything. We was not in trouble because our Acft Commander had told us once we got the Acft ready to fly we could go to the beach and he gave us our takeoff for the next day.Unfortunately another Acft had problems, so ops moved that crew to my Acft and away it went with all our stuff.My Asst and I spent the next 2 days at base ops and base ops cafeteria borrowing money from other Crew Chiefs.We managed to borrow shirts and some shorts also. What made it bad as well was our military ID's went with our belongings.

Two days later our Acft came back and everything went back to normal.