Coastie Question

bobdaley

Anyone know when the Coast Guard shifted to the current paint scheme was it with 1452 LPN 4255 in 1968? I started on Herks in 69 and we did a lot of training at Elizabeth City. I don't remember seeing any of the old paint job, but that could also be oldtimers. The attached pic was a retro paint scheme.

Bob

The racing stripe was pushed pretty hard after the USCG went from Treasury to Transportation in 1967. There are a few shots of the E-City flight line from that period that show aircraft with both schemes.

The 1504 is very close, but the tail number design is different from the original. The Air Station name is usually painted on the tail, too. Otherwise, is sure is pretty!

n1dp has it right. The "Racing Stripe" was comissioned in 1967 and the fleet started to get repainted at their next scheduled PDM. So that would have made it '68-ish through '72-ish time frame. I was trying to find the picture of the ramp with a mixed bag with no luck. I'll continue to dig.