62-1863 Armor Question

KingChief

We currently have Acft 62-1863 sitting on our line and we are currently trying to install armor on her. does anyone know what the closest aircraft the flightdeck is configured for, or have any pictures of this armor installed? I know this is one of the frankenherks that AFSOC rejected we could really use your help. we also have strange hydro lines and drains in the nose.

I don't think 62-1863 or any of the ABCCC birds had armor installed. I put several thousand hours on those planes and never flew with armor. I'll check with some other ABCCC guys and see what they come up with.

As for the odd stuff in the nose - probably some mod gone bad...

I've been in contact with the -21 folks. They have some of the pieces that they can order. It was built to the same specs as an MC-130P, and we have the IPB for that armor.

The problem in the nose with the hydraulic tubing is not fixable. That's the way the tubing was for '62 & older models, except for the last 10 62's. The capped connector can be removed and tied up behind the panel, using a blank plate to cover it. It isn't used, but the only way to know what it used to be for is to get a wire number or two so it can be identified.

Once upon a time the ABCCC were configured for armor, but I dont know when the last time it was installed.

I got to the 7th ACCS in 85 and talking with the old farts, it had been quite a while since it had been put on, I am not even sure if they still had it to install or not by that point.

Many and most Herk units (by the mid 80's) no longer even bothered to keep the armor plating and had actually turned it all into DRMO.

I had never flown with it installed until I got to AFSOC in 93, man that stuff would beat the snot out of you, especially all the seat armor.

I was in the 7th ACCS at Keesler and the 42nd ACCS at DM. I believe the armor was removed in the late 70's/early 80's (the unit got to Keesler in 1975). Either way, the "old school" armor wouldn't do you much good as it mounted with metal brackets, screws and bolts...nothing "high-speed".

As far as the hydraulic lines: not sure what you mean. 1863 is pretty standard as E-models go. Drain lines? There are some on the forward fuselage on each side (exterior) about cargo floor level that drained condensation from the ECS system for the capsule. Everything else was probably demoded.

Hang in there...J-Models are on the way... :-)

I was in the 7th ACCS at Keesler and the 42nd ACCS at DM. I believe the armor was removed in the late 70's/early 80's (the unit got to Keesler in 1975). Either way, the "old school" armor wouldn't do you much good as it mounted with metal brackets, screws and bolts...nothing "high-speed".

As far as the hydraulic lines: not sure what you mean. 1863 is pretty standard as E-models go. Drain lines? There are some on the forward fuselage on each side (exterior) about cargo floor level that drained condensation from the ECS system for the capsule. Everything else was probably demoded.

Hang in there...J-Models are on the way... :-)

The three hydraulic lines going to the NLG uplock are hardlines routed from aft to fore into the cylinder. I will post pics tomorrow of the lines, which we can't do anything about. But, maybe someone can shed the light on the connector. I think it is for maintenance use, just not sure what system.

We are actually at the point because there is believe it or not no armor available AF wide besides the ones Tiny found that are available we had to build the flt deck outline on our shopfloor and hand build armor with the assistance from the armor company. still want to know what the lines are for.

For Money, Kingchief.

It isn't APN59 stuff, if it was, I would know. There's usually a test equip receptacle right next to the -59 R/T unit.

The connector has two large pins and 5 smaller ones, almost like it provides power to something. That's just a guess.

Edited by tinyclark