62-1863 Armor Question

KingChief

For Money, Kingchief.

It isn't APN59 stuff, if it was, I would know. There's usually a test equip receptacle right next to the -59 R/T unit.

The connector has two large pins and 5 smaller ones, almost like it provides power to something. That's just a guess.

Sounds like test equipment power. But like you said, that was usually lower down. If we still had 1832 or 1836, we could compare/contrast--but they're in the boneyard. Maybe someone could go look at 1857?

• 1 month later...
  • 3 months later...
  • 4 months later...

We had an E model that had the same issue with the armor. The crew chiefs and chute shop had to manufacture the fit. This was at the Idaho ANG. I thought for a moment everyone was talking about our E, 62-1863. The IDANG no longer has the Hercs. I don't know if this tail was sent to Cheyenne or not, but the armor should have gone with it. You may give the Wyoming guys a call if they have that tail. If you would like, I can call back to my old unit and find out where that tail number was sent after the BRAC.

As far as the plug, I sure thought it looked like a test equipment plug too, but if Tiny says that's not it then I don't have a clue what it is.

Rich

I have e mailed a few of the guys from my old unit to ask them about the armor. I will let you know if I hear anything back on it.

I still can't remember doing anything with the test plug or if we ever connected anything to it. We always used the test equipment connector near the APN-59 R/T. I have asked some of the other avionics guys the question in the same e mail. Again, I will post here if I get a response back from them on these things or anything else.

Rich

• 1 month later...

KingChief,

I got a reply back from a friend of a friend about some extra armor out there if you are still interested. My friend for some reason sat on the e mail I sent and just got around to replying. PM me if you still need some armor.

Rich

We currently have Acft 62-1863 sitting on our line and we are currently trying to install armor on her. does anyone know what the closest aircraft the flightdeck is configured for, or have any pictures of this armor installed? I know this is one of the frankenherks that AFSOC rejected we could really use your help. we also have strange hydro lines and drains in the nose.

• 8 years later...