Refueling C130 with Leading Edges removed

gercarluv

Hello, Fellow Herky Bird Members, I am a new member and need some help info. Where can I find the statement or information as to NOT refueling a C130 with all leading edges removed. Is this in tech order, job guide, lockheed manual, or just common knowledge? I am a maintainer at a facility were the users want to leak check tanks with LE off and I said not a good idea, because will distort wings and then will have trouble installing LE Please help.

I would tend to agree with the "no refuel" idea;fueling with the LE off will definitely make it a bugger (if not impossible) to get the LE back on.

Hell they suck trying to put them back on without drooping the wings with fuel.

Kind of on the same level as "dont tow with floor plates removed"

Let em do it if they promise to put the LE back on themselves:)

Sorry I cant help you with written references as I dont have access to all the really cool information anymore since I've been retired six years now.

I've done it both ways. Recall installation of outboard leading edges much more difficult if the acft had been moved. Seems to me loading the wing with fuel would result in much the same result. One one occasion after the acft. had been moved and we couldn't get the fasteners to line up we ended up unloading the outboard wing by shoring it. Don't remember what if any TO guidance existed. Have you researched current tech data, talked to QA, queried WR-ALC? Hopefully one to the WR-ALC depot maintenance guys will read the thread and enlighten us as to how the depot deals with the issue. I like Dan's idea. If they insist they get to do the install. And you can stand on the hanger floor and shout at the top on your lungs, " I told you so".

There is no reference for that. This is one of the oldest questions that I am aware of in the Herk world, and people will have opinions on both sides of the question. I have refueled aircraft with leading edges removed with no problems. I have also defueled aircraft with leading edges removed with no problem. Then again, I won a case of beer from a DCM when I installed a leading edge on a plane in fuel cell would not be used because the folks could not get the leading edge back on themselves. I don't know, though, if it was off when the plane was refuelded or defueled.

Sometimes, stuff just doesn't go back on easily, no matter what you do.

Hopefully one to the WR-ALC depot maintenance guys will read the thread and enlighten us as to how the depot deals with the issue. .

I don't think you want to know how they deal with issues.

As for me, I wouldn't do it that way. They're hard enough to get on without touching anything. Probably leave all the access panels off and find the smallest guy on the crew to peek. Or if you leak check for more than 12 hours, might be able to pick something up with a PID meter.

We have towed aircraft around without any leading edges, swapped them from one aircraft to another. All things they said could and should not be done, but guess what they went on in their typical fashion. Some tougher than others, but they went on. WR has never had an issue with this before so why would they now.

Don the -3 and the job guide has limits on what floor boards can be removed prior to moving the aircraft.

This goes along with way back when you could not remove windshield while the aircraft was on on jacks, my how times have changed.

Remember engine truss mounts are not aircraft primary structure either, they are NACELLE primary structure; thereby, the aircraft wings do not need to be no-loaded to change them. Also have done may of them without ANY problems!!

Come on out that box sometimes guys.:cool:

Another words refuel away!!!!

Thanks to all who posted their suggestions. What we decided to do is install all leading Edges and push the aircraft outside refuel for the soak test and do our pressurization ckecks on the bleed air and anti icing ducts. With a little luck we won't have any fuel or Bleed air leaks. Cheers and have a great holiday

• 3 months later...
  • 11 months later...

hi we got a pressurization snag on c130 H it wont pressurize for first time and then FE said he put the master switch to off and back to on it was ok , but some of the FE said when they qick the safty valve . we have changed 3 safty valves and 2 air filter , but the snag still persist plz need your help . thx alot