LONG RANGE & MAXIMUN ENDURANCE CHARTS hercules H models

coyote26

Hello friends i dont have clear the definitons of long range and the maximiun endurance charts, wich are the differences or when i have to use one chart or the other, if somebody could explainme... i read the books and i dont understood.

Sorry about my english, thanks and a happy new year for all!!!!!

Long range is based on flying the maxium distance. You would use the long range charts to go as far as you could with the amount of fuel available.

Maximum endurance is staying aloft for the maximum amount of time with no regard to distance traveled. You use max endurance charts to stay inflight for as long as you can without trying to go to a specific place.

Long Range: How can I go the farthest with the gas I have on board. Though not perfectly applicable to a C-130, this is what you hear referred to in other aircraft as L/Dmax. There are variances in how aerodynamic experts look at the blown wing, but for the purpose of this discussion, close enough.

Example: You are low on fuel and trying to make it to a destination - you would slow to Maximum Specific Range Speed (the "peak" of the appropriate chart, max distance per pound fuel)

Maximum Endurance: How can I stay in the air for the longest time. Again, not a perfectly applicable to a C-130, but close to what is referred to in other aircraft as Vx Max. This is the point at which I am using the minimal required power to stay in the air (Maximum excess power available). Example: The airfield I am going to is on a remote island that's fogged in and I need to stay in the air longer while the weather improves.

So, on a C-130, Maximum range is slower than normal cruise, and maximum endurance is slower than maximum range speed.