Wheel rolling resistance

herky400M

I think there are toomany factors.

Tirepressure, type of surface you rolling it on,new tire or old tire, weight of the aircraft with or without fuel and with or without cargo.

Maybe a pilot can tell you, I just have a highschool diploma and fix aircraft.

Pilots have college degrees and fly the thing and break them for us.

To me its basicly a thing of releasing the breaks and if it doesnt move, just push the throttles a little more.

Hope that works.

You'll probably have to contact the manufacturer. A large part of the resistance is formulated by construction and compound.

There is no mention of any of that in the mil spec, MIL-PRF-5041K. It only mentions requirements for speed and ply rating in the performance section.

Edited by tinyclark

Based on the fact that the “rolling resistance†of a wheel/tire is a function of velocity and deflection;

We should not exceed the maximum tire speed of 174 knots (for type VII tires).

And the maximum tire deflection of 35% (for high strength airfields) or 39% deflection (for marginal strength airfields).

Ref. FM 382C-14E (Section 1 page 6 & 24)

Rolling resistance, sometimes called rolling friction or rolling drag, is the resistance that occurs when a round object such as a ball or tire rolls on a flat surface, in steady velocity straight line motion. It is caused mainly by the deformation of the object, the deformation of the surface, or both. Additional contributing factors include wheel radius, forward speed, surface adhesion, and relative micro-sliding between the surfaces of contact. It depends very much on the material of the wheel or tire and the sort of ground.

For example, rubber will give a bigger rolling resistance than steel. Also, sand on the ground will give more rolling resistance than concrete. Any moving wheeled vehicle will gradually slow down due to rolling resistance including that of the bearings, but a train car with steel wheels running on steel rails will roll farther than a bus of the same mass with rubber tires running on tarmac. The coefficient of rolling resistance is generally much smaller for tires or balls than the coefficient of sliding friction.

Wikipedia

I remember one time at CCK when a Wing winnie Maj Nav came out to fly with our crew to get his monthly requirements completed. He set his crew bag on the ramp in front of the plane and expected one of the enlisted crew to bring it on board for him....well you know those sneaky untrustworthy enlisted...they are always up to something...as we taxied out there was a bump and the plane seemed to jump...that is when the nav came up on intercom an asked if anyone had seen his bag...almost split a gut from keeping from laughing out loud. We stopped, load opened the ramp and called that there was a bag laying on the ramp behind the plane...nav ran out and retrieved it.....I'll bet he took good care of his bags after that....I'm still laughing. OBTW Did not cause much resistance to the wheel movement.

Muff