Soon to be C-130 Crew Chief

Scooter

Hello All,

I am currently in Afghanistan serving as a COMM troop. I recently put in an application to get out of COMM(Currently I am a 3D0X3..3C0X1..There was a merger.) It is a server guy. Anyway I was accepted to become a crew chief 2A531B! I have been in the Air Force for a little over 5 years and as soon as I get back to the states I will be starting Tech School in Sheppard. I have heard mixed things about the job but I am really looking forward to it to getting to work on the plane. I was just writing to see if any one had any advice for me or could tell me what I can expect coming into the career field. I am currently a Staff Sergeant. Does that make any difference? I already have a follow on base from Tech School as well. I will be going to Dyess AFB to be a part of the 317th Aircraft Maintenace Squadron. Any advice is appreciated. Thanks for the help

read, listen, learn . You will outrank most who will be showing you the ropes, don't push your rank but don't take any shit either. Get your hands dirty and don't complain about wash rack duty or lube jobs. In time you'll earn your place and if you're up for a challenge become a flying crew chief and put your skills to the test. Crews depend on what you do and how well you do it, be the best.

Scooter,

I echo bischoffm & yawdamper said, I had 22 years as a crew chief on C-141, C-130, and C-17 and they all at times had long dirty days. But I glad I never sersiously concider cross-trading out (I had my opertinuties (sp) though). It can be at times a lot of hard work but mission accomplement does have it's satifaction. Also being assigned to C-130s will give you a chance of becoming a FCC on an aircraft and give you plenty of travel time if you arn't burnt out of it already. As a SSgt you should be in line for DCC position once you get profecient on the airframe.

Owen

Scooter, If being a C-130 crew chief today is anything like when I was one(67-71), then be prepared to operate without any days off for long periods of time, no sleep, no food, and no silence(GTC's & MD-3's)! If you are ready for that, you will love it!!! I did!!!!

Best job in the Air Force----I guess it was the only job I ever had!!!

Would do it all over,

Ken

• 4 weeks later...

Hmmmmm. What to expect. Well, all incoming personnel are currently going to the j side of the house and being a salty h model guy myself I can't really tell you much about them. They got some good guys working them right now and they will definitely hook you up with the knowledge and skills you need. Just be prepared to feel like a retard for a while because they don't really teach you anything useful at sheppard. Maintenance is a completely different world from what you are accustomed to. Be prepared to catch a lot of crap about your previous career field. Most of the transfers we get in here are just off other airframes so they know the game already. Just try not to take anything too personal, it can be a pretty tough crowd. Practice swallowing your pride because you will have to submit yourself to the training and guidance of lower ranking airmen because they are the ones who are out there everyday performing the tasks you will need to learn. if you get out there and show a willingness to learn and work hard you will do just fine. I have been here at dyess going on five years so if you want anymore detailed info just hit me up.