Buffies, camel stools, pistachios, sailing ship models, globe bars and El Cid swords

gizzard

Any of you old guys remember any of these things????? I would like to find a picture of one of those horrible Buffies, you know Big Ugly F***** Elephants. Anybody have one. How 'bout the other stuff. just another old memory came back, and thought it would be a good one to share with everyone.

load clear

giz

Had some of those. The wife called the look early TAC or tacky. She got rid of it all. How about the wooden statues and butterfly trays from Rio, Gold Baht chains and four season bracelets from Thailand, Montagnard bracelets from Saigon, soap stone from Phnom Penh, meerschaum pipes from Turkey? Wow, I'm on a roll.

Greek fishermen hats & flokati rugs from Athens, Princess rings from Bangkok. When I was in Phnom Penh flying for the UN in the 1990's, you could buy those ceramic elephants at the open-air markets -- no, I didn't, but wish I had. Lazy Susans & those ugly big wooden forks & spoons from Clark? Clap from Angeles?

Don R.

Just cleaned up the attic last summer and got rid of several flokati rugs that had been up there for years. I still have a four master wooden sailing ship in my "man cave". I also have a collection of shot glasses and some alibaster figurines from all over Europe. Of course the wife brought back several Hummels.

Two big ugly multy colored elephants standing guard beside my fireplace. Picked up in Saigon 1967 while tdy from Mactan. Wish I had a dollor for every time I shipped them from one place to another. Clap in Angles? No....you must be kidding....

Also have two silver fancy swords from Burma cost me about ten bucks...blades about a foot long and ingraved but rusty. I think I'll take to them that pawn shop on the history channel. I still have a few of the temple rubbings from Phnom Penh from 1971 or 1972

Muff

Clap from Angeles. Reminds me of the mandatory clap prevention meeting in the theater at CCK. Don't remember who was conducting it, but, the highlight came when he asked for a show of hands from those who had had it xxxxx times, followed by who had had it xxxx times, followed by....."you guys slow down and let the rest catch up". Brought the house down!

Still have elephants guarding the carport.. Raindeer slippers from Finnland, globe bar from Italy, elephant skin nav bag from Bangkok still in use, English brass rubbings, German coocoo clocks from the black forest... LaMouge cristal lamps from France and Luxemborg... Things that no one asks about anymore.. Camel saddle holds the toilet tissue.. Cold and rainy here this evening

Darn guys, sounds like I opened up a whole new can of memories. some of the stuff you guys mentioned, I had forgotten about. I could add llama rugs from peru, brass "pizza" plates from turkey. Greek urns, molded calcium statues from italy, I must have gotten my mother forty or fifty different sets of salt and pepper shakers for her collection. As an afterthought, does anyone out there remember the name of the place, in Madrid, where you could get a kilo steak, yeah 2.2 pounds, that they served on scalding hot metal plates and you cooked the meat as you sliced and ate it. They kept bringin' new plates. I wonder if it is still there. Keep the things comin' in. You young guys, I hope you have and are enjoyin' what you do as much as we old timers did, most of the time

I never got the elephants but a few months ago I saw some in a garage sale. The only thing I have left is the monkey pod lazy susan from the PI, sold the velvet paintings from PI and big ass fork and spoon, still have the Turkish wedding rings, sold the Thai bronzeware kept the jewelry. BTW way its damn cold and nasty here in north texas, perfect football weather, and yes they are selling 300 tickets to sit outside the statium and watch the game on a big screen, beer will sell for 10 bucks a cup

The stuff from the desert is about the same. Alot of guys got the gold cartouches. Gave my mom and several girlfriends one over the years. Got a couple of the headwraps, still havn't figured out how to put the damn things on. Got a coupe cheap statues, the only one I remember is a camel. Also got a romance novel from Kuwait for my grandmother. Took her a minute to realize the thing was in Arabic. Other than that, lots of gold amd whatever was cheap downtown.

• 2 weeks later...

Must not forget puzzle rings from Ankara, or those 3' Teak wood fingers or Oil on Velvet anything in the Phillipines. Used to trade "17 jewel" Timex's for camel saddles at Wheelus and take them back to Evereaux and Mildenhall to trade up. I still have the finger and an Oil on Velvet 3 stooges. Wife will not allow them to be displayed. I mentioned them at the 2005 Dyess loadmaster reunion.

Anybody remember the clock guy at Mildenhall? This guy was stationed there and had collected all kinds of antique grandfather clocks, mantle clocks and cookoo clocks. When he rotated back he had a fire sale and everyone on TDY with the 346th bought them and on the rotation back to Dyess we had clocks on every plane chiming and going off. I bought a wall clock and practically hand carried it back to Dyess. This was in late 68 when they sent us back to Dyess for 2 days and then on to Clark. There was hoof and mouth in the UK and we all got fumigated in a hangar and all the booze and cigarette "overage" was confiscated and all the clocks had dust sprayed in them. Everyone was really PO'd at the time.

Oh yea....Think I probably bought one of each. Only thing left is the flokati rug from Athens and a gold puzzle ring from Adana. The one thing I didn't buy was a Persian rug. Was in a Terhan rug shop and the old shop keeper told me I could give it to my son and he could give it to his son and if it wore out bring it back and he would give my money back. Wonder how many kids we kept busy in those back alley shops making all the junk, oops sorry, treasures that we hauled half way around the world home.

I had the humping water buffaloes, the wood finger, and several other things from Thailand,but somehow they disappeared before I left Naha and CCK.

I still have one of those nice buffalo Hide wallets I picked up in Bankgok! I am going to take some pics of it and some of my other treasures.

Ken

I took some pics of a plate I picked up in Ubon, and the wallet I am sure I bought in Bangkok.

P2190003.jpg

P2190007.jpg

Edited by Mt.crewchief
Added some pics

Anyone mention Giant teak Fork and Spoon wall hanging? You can always tell who has been to the PI when you walk in their home and see a set on the wall.

And if you have managed to hold onto every piece of teak or paulonia wood carved bowls, you are a very trendy person. I saw a set in something like Crate and Barrel catalog around a hundred bucks.

Hey. Mt. crewchief, I still have my old wallet like that, too. Glad ya reminded me. Matter of fact, I have it here on my desk right now. Boy did they stink when they got sweaty............. I think it was my FE who told a young crew chief it was madef rom an elephant's foreskin, and that if you stroked it several times, it turned into a leather B-4 bag!!!!!!!!!!!!!! LMAO!!!!! Some good times back then, all things considered................

I guess I am the oddball as I have kept all my road treasures from over the years (except what has been stolen in robberies and PCS moves, damn thieving German movers)

My place is usually decorated in early American MAC LOL

Greek wall plates and jugs from Crete, puzzle rings, rugs, meerschaum pipes, brass crap from "Rip Off Alley" outside the "Lik" in Turkey

African masks, ebony Gazelle bookends, malachite chess sets and figurines from several country's in "the Dark Continent"

Tapestires and Rugs, brass crap, raghead clothes, gold and a really really nice counterfeit Brietling watch from Arabia as well as dozens of bottles of perfume essential oils from Bahrain.

Mushroom hat from Afghanistan

God I dont know what else, everything is either boxed up or still in FL and my memory is really really bad anymore.

brass crap, raghead clothes, gold and a really really nice counterfeit Brietling watch from Arabia as well as dozens of bottles of perfume essential oils from Bahrain..

BRASS CRAP FOR THE WIN!!!

That crap is sentimental to me. Tacky as all get out, but ..

Off topic - when we were searching for a home, this one home the realtor told us the builder's name, which ended in Al-Khalil. And they were the owner of the home. I told the husband "Just you wait. This place will be filled with brass crap, pink/rose colored carpet and drapes will be dark reds. The fixtures will all be brass. Even the bathrooms. The master will probably look palacial and tacky with mosaic and more "gold" accents. The furniture will be the ugliest you have ever seen."

I have never been so accurate in all my life. The realtor and my husband both looked at me as if I had already been in that house.