Smyrna Air Force Base

LWysockiMS

I was there and assigned to the 4442nd from fall of 1966 to spring of 1969, then to CCK and the 314th OMS and alot of countries on the other side of the pond. Our barricks was next door to the NCO club and diagonally across the parking lot from the bowling alley. Wonderful memories of that place and time, Blue Ribbon was just $1.00 a six-pack at the pic-nik pantry. Would love to go back to the old Nashville raceway, the Ryman, and Tootsies.

I got to Sewart April '67, went through 4442nd pilot school, sent to CCK for 13 months (50th) and back to Sewart in '68 with the 61st, then school squadron again, until they moved us to LRAFB in March '70. Met my wife in Nashville too. Great place, we get back there often to visit my wife's family.

Well Louis Wysocki you old war dog. I have wondered for years where you were . I was in the 18thTCS "Delta" flight on A models . Was at Sewart from 1963-66. You were the flight chief (msgt) and I was a fresh outta school third wiper. I always thought you had a weird walk, kinda like a John Wayne swagger. For some reason I remember you always dipped a rag in an ash tray to wipe off the old daily flying schedule on the plexiglass board... funny how small things stick in your mind so long. We had Pappy Hayes, Red Hutchinson, Masennia, Msgt Knuckles, Msgt Hollinsworth and a bunch of other great guys. Do you remember when AB Red Hutchinson painted the flt deck red on Pappy Hayes airplane while he was off on leave? It sure was funny from my point of view but you and MSgt Hayes didn't think so. Saw you bios and you look great Louis. Bill

Edited by Spectre623

Was at Sewart Jan 62 to June 65. Crew Chiefed C130B 612950 assigned to 50th TCS. Had TDYs to Evereux, France, Panama, plus many troop drops at Pope and Ft Campbell. Some fellow Crew Chiefs I remember: Middleton, Pike, Cheney, Liston, Kettner. Spent last few months in Tech Order Distribution office with Sgt Bryefogel. -- Hal James, Washington, Iowa

• 1 month later...

I was at Sewart AFB from June 69 to Feb 70. I was assigned to 62 TAS as a prop man. I was on the advance team that went to Little Rock Feb 70, and transitioned the base from B-58s to C-130s. I left 62 TAS Nov 70. I remember when we received our new planes, 10934-10951. Same ones I flew later, as a 62nd FE, when I returned to LRAFB in 1982.

• 2 weeks later...

Just curious to all you guys that were stationed at Sewart. Why did Sewart close? And what was the reasoning for moving it "the C-130 school house" to Little Rock?

And why didnt the Nashville Guard move into Sewart after? I heard that it was offered to the Guard at Nashville, and it would have been a match since they had C-130's also.... Plus it is only like down the road from the Nashville Airport....

Politics and Politics. Sewart closed in 1970.

Little Rock was a big SAC base with good facilities. Sewart although it had some updated buildings was old. When the B-58's at LRF went to the Boneyard the AR pols in DC had more clout and so the Herks were moved to LRF.

TN ANG had pretty good facilities at Nashville Airport and it was a lot more convenient than driving to Smyrna, so they stayed put.

The TN Army NG did move into the old Sewart.

Bob

• 4 months later...
  • 1 year later...

Yes, I remember you. You were in "Bravo" section with SMS Burl Rhodarmer as Section chief. I'm Ken Moser and a few others were

Jim Lane, Ron Lorkowski, SS Arnold Cross, Tsgt Bennett, Dick Bailey to name a few. We were in and out of Europe and Se Asia during

my time there, 1962-1966.

Yes Sir, I was assigned to the 314th from the 61st when the CC went to maintenance. I was in Bravo Section along with Ken Moser above. I just uploaded a set of blanket flight pay orders that were cut in 1965 for our sections. I'm sure you will remember some of us. Albeit we are a little older.

Jim Lane