LC 130 J ??

kiwic130alm

Read an article the other day in the USAF web site about a LC 130 J operating at McMurdo Station Antartica but talking to the movement boys in Christchurch they have not seen any through this season. Are there any out there?:confused:

My guess is they are confused with the LC that has the NP-2000 8 bladed prop.

Here's a question.... Why 8 blades instead of 6 like the "J"? The answer I have heard, though, not from anyone really in the know, is that it has to do with the harmonics. A 6 blade gives off different harmonics than a 4 blade, thus all or at least some of the avionics on a aircraft with a 4 blade would have to be upgraded to work correctly with the 6 blade. But taking an 8 blade, nothing needs to be done with avionics, as an 8 blade gives off the same harmonics as a 4. Something about equal addition. IE 4, 8, 12, 3, 6, 9, etc... It does kind of make since to someone like me that don't have this type of background. BUT, there's always one of those isn't there. This would mean when they converted the C-130A's with 3 blades to 4, there would have been some avionics changes, correct? Then again, this talk I had delt with the P-3, and this avionic thing might be a mission gear type thing, and nothing to do with normal nav stuff. I really don't know, just looking for thoughts from others.

Well, I've heard the same thing. Personally, I took a ride in one cross-country before they fixed the synchrophasing issue. When I got off the plane, I just felt really bad inside...really a wierd feeling I never felt before. It took a few hours for it to subside. So when I heard later from flight test folks about the same issue with other people, it made sense. Since then, they've reprogrammed the synchrophasing & supposedly fixed the problem.

I never had the same problem with the NP2000.

I also heard the same about AMC going all Js. That would coincide with other rumors I've heard about the 189th ramping up here at LRF....to take over all H & AMP training with the new reserve unit???

From the AFA daily report: Eight to Four, a Day's Work in Cheyenne: Maintainers have removed the four, eight-bladed NP-2000 propellers that had been fitted to a C-130 of the Wyoming Air National Guard's 153rd Airlift Wing since 2007 as part of an evaluation at Edwards AFB, Calif. Wing airmen briefly returned the C-130 to the unit's home in Cheyenne for the propellers' removal. USAF testers have used this Hercules since 2005 to assess the performance of a modernized electronic propeller control system and the NP-2000s. Wing airmen found the C-130 to be more powerful, efficient, quieter, and easier to maintain with the NP-2000s. The aircraft will return to Edwards for the evaluation's final stage to gather performance data on the C-130's baseline propellers to compare with NP-2000 data. That testing should be completed by June. The wing's C-130 is retaining the EPCS. (Cheyenne report by 1st Lt. Christian Venhuizen)

Wing airmen found the C-130 to be easier to maintain with the NP-2000s.

One of the pluses there is if you have an issue with blade, like the Dowty prop on the "J" all you do is change the blade, vice the old school way of changing the prop. Not that changing the "J" prop is all that hard. Take's about an hour to hang all four.

• 1 year later...

Nope, there are no LC-130J's out there...yet. Agree with P3_Super_Bee that it was probably an LC-130H with NP2000 props from the NYANG. Although, the Australian Antarctic Division (AAD) is looking for some new wheel/ski-equipped aircraft for Antarctic operations; the RFI is here.

The NP2000 flight test program at Edwards was completed in 2011 and showed significant increases in the takeoff thrust. The test airplane was a C-130H3 from Cheyenne (WYANG). As far as I know, the only units with the NP2000 props are ANG: 153rd AW in Cheyenne, which only has 1 shipset, and the 109th AW in NY, which operates LC-130H models. The main driver for the NP2000 test was the LC-130 mission, which requires additional takeoff thrust to achieve takeoff speed on skis.