C130 De-icing Proceedures

Chris Down Under

I have been looking into the C-130 Deicing proceedures in the FM and TO' s it took me all of 2 minutes,, I thought there would have been lots of info on how to deice a C130 before take off using type 1 deicing fluid. I couldnt find a CL for the crews, is there one?? I saw a great Aircrew CL for the C17, which got me to thinking , is ther one for a Herc?

Chris.

With all the Herks operating world wide in the snow and ice, I would have thought Lockheed would have had more in the Flight and Ground handling manuals on how to De-ice a Herk. For people that dont go into snow areas very much there is not a lot of info about from the manufacturer. When you look at others, Boeing, Airbus, ect they each have a lot of info.

Chris..

I notice there is no mention of using a seat rod!!!!!!!!!!! Honest to God, guys, and some of you old Langley guys may remember this, sometime, I wanna guess early 73, we had a freezing rain in the Hampton Roads area, that made the place look like a glazed donut. Some moron had us called in, almost like a recall, and we were told that when we got there, we were to go out to the airplanes, get a seat rod, and start "tapping" the ice off the birds. I was living close to Pat Henry airport at the time, and by the time I got to the 36th,or maybe we had actually gottern out to the airplanes, I can't remember, the plan had been dropped. Can you imagine the damage to the aircraft skin???????

Giz

The FAA publishes a guide each year that gives information on hold times and uses of the various deicing fluids. It can be freely downloaded from the FAA. It is not mystical or magic at all, but I can see how people might be apprehensive during their first deicing procedure.

Please be sure that you get ALL the ice and snow off the flight surfaces and flight controls and get off the ground before the hold time expires. It is a wonderful idea of shutdown the APU before you deice as well.