RGB Failure

AJGr33n

I hope somebody has the story, and can also explain why they installed the intake plug!?!

Same reason someone chalked the tires on an A-10 that performed a wheels-up landing. If there's a regulation, and you have no explicit reason not to follow it, why not? If you can find a picture of that, it's pretty funny though.

The story I heard about this aircraft was that, the day before, the propeller was changed on #3. On it's first flight, the RGB separated. On it's way down, the #3 prop impacted #4 in-flight, causing the #4 prop blade to bury itself into the leading edge.

The personnel changing the propeller the day before were under investigation for the mishap, but were cleared when it was found out that the RGB was defective.

I don't know if the story is 100% true. When you start getting into second and third-hand stories, you never know what's true, but this is what I was told. If I changed the prop the day before, I'd be sweating bullets during all this, for sure.

The EC-130 was heading out over the pond when the #3 prop seperated from the #3 engine. It then struck the #4 prop, causing the #4 RGB to rotate 90 degrees. The crew landed at Pease AFB, NH after dumping fuel. Landing on the 11,000 foot runway at PSM, the aircraft was stopped by brakes halfway down the runway. All four main tires deflated because of the overheated brakes. The #3 prop was located some time later in the woods of Maine.

CG 1706 c/n 4996, January 1992. Same position but different results. Lost Utility Boost when RH anti skid control valve and Main gear fluid lines severed. The prop "danced" over the wing, damaged lines and wires in the wing root, landed on the tail, punctured anti icing duct in RH tail. Engine oil coated the side of the aircraft and hydraulic oil coated the interior. Booster lines were crimped pretty bad when the prop blade came in and widened the hole. Lots of broken wires. Feather circuits inop. came real close to the control cables for 3 and 4, etc.

15 pax and two crew in the back. The pax and one crew were all on a seat pallet in the first position. The other guy was by the RH paratroop door. The two survival sleds and many pax hanging bags were by the RH side emergency exit. They all went out the hole. Found a wooden coat hanger in the belly pan of # 3. Dress uniform shirt in the leading edge. The # 3 nacelle was brand new. Had less than 30 hours on it.

The prop went into the Bering Sea, but was drugged up by fishermen a few years later.

Both crews earned their flight pay. You'll notice our intake plug was in too!

AF Captain from Warner Robbins came up and QA'd our battle damage repair. Real nice guy.

Thanks for all the replys.

Looking closely at the youtube link I would say that the second picture is of the accedent you are talking about.

Its amazing something like that can happen in flight and the aircraft can still get. A huge credit to the crew thats for sure.

Oh and proves what a tuff old girl she is at times.

AJ

Don't know the story but the intake plug was obviously installed to protect the engine from FOD. Sorry, just couldn't resist!

Sonny, you got it!!! I really got a chuckle when I read your comment.

John

Hey guys, I think I have some good stuff on this incident (we actually landed at Pease AFB as soon as they cleared the runway after this bird landed).

But the info is on other computer in the house and I didnt share the drive on the network so I will have to wait until tommorow to get to the data.

Got folks sleeping in the living room of the trailer and I am sitting here in the house.

But in the meantime here is a link to all 35 pics I have of this mishap - enjoy and maybe tommorow I will have some printed material for you to read.

http://smg.photobucket.com/albums/v721/FTFFTW/Herk/Scratch%20and%20Dent%20Sale/73%201592%20EC%20H%20with%20thrown%20prop/?start=all

IM_A0008.jpg

Most of you are correct, however we (yes I was the FE on the plane) were going to Bangor Maine to RON. The next day we were scheduled to depart for England. This incident happened over upper New York, and yes it was inflight. Gear Box came apart at 22,000ft if I remember correctly, happened in September 1988/89 (long time ago). Took out number 4 engine. Did a two engine landing at Pease AFB. Melted the right brakes stopping the airplane. That’s the short story. By the way that second picture with the intake plug was from another incident.

Most of you are correct, however we (yes I was the FE on the plane) were going to Bangor Maine to RON. The next day we were scheduled to depart for England. This incident happened over upper New York, and yes it was inflight. Gear Box came apart at 22,000ft if I remember correctly, happened in September 1988/89 (long time ago). Took out number 4 engine. Did a two engine landing at Pease AFB. Melted the right brakes stopping the airplane. That’s the short story. By the way that second picture with the intake plug was from another incident.

It was 1988 because I was putting together an old A-model in Tucson when the incident happened. I knew one of the FE's in the 43rd ECS from my Rhein Main days (Bill Spiece). He told me the AC was also from the 37th -- a sharp young major. Can't remember his name , though.

Don R.

Edited by DC10FE
spelling, of course!

Incredible story, my hats off to you and the rest of the crew.

One of my favorites. Heading overseas reportedly with a lot of contraband. Landed at a small airport in the Catskills NY.

Bob

If this incident is the one I'm thinking of, that acft. landed at Saranac Lake,NY in the Adirondacs. I drove up there to have a look and couldn't get close enough to even see the bird.

I got a chance to work on that U.A.E. aircraft back in 2007. I looked really hard to see if I could see any signs that a prop blade went through, but I couldn't tell anything had ever happened to it. Whoever put it back together did an extremely good job.

• 2 weeks later...

15 October 1997, aircraft tail no. 1213 lockheed serial no.4879 routing from Washington DC (USA) to Gander (CANADA) on the way back to home station (UAE).

Aircraft before this was under mysterious setup for the accident.

Engine no.3 was called for a change duo to repeated defect causing a couple of mission termination towards home station (engine oil loss during climb/flight);

A civil company (xxx) at Washington DC was in charged to do the task of troubleshooting and the necessary action; Decision was made for replacing the engine while keeping the old QEC (Availability Issue)

Tip: Our crew chef attending the replacement on hangar reported that during lifting/fitting the new engine for installation on our QEC, engine was exposed twice to a heavy jerk due to missing support on the engine tail suction in which a load stress imposed on the prop shaft; engineering team on the sight decided that no harm of the stress imposed on the prop shaft.

Engine was“crossedâ€with the four bolts, run-up carried out and released as a “SATâ€.

At the mid of the day and during crew start-up no.4 prop low oil light illuminated, the check confirmed a level switch malfunction, captain elect to proceed with the defect from Washington to Gander were maintenance still not getting used to let components unsupported, in addition to go one step towards home station and stop the “lady-talk†spreads on the desert touching the honesty of the crew to be back home....

Under the command of a “VVIP†pilot Colonel Salah, aircraft was set on a climb at a speed of 170 knots to its destiny.

Level 210 abnormal beating noise alert the “two set†crew (12) to be gathered in two groups.

At the time crew noticed unstable RPM indication on #3 engine, while FE getting permission to shift the prop to mechanical control the navigator interfered reporting that two propeller warnings are now glowing on the right side panel (3 & 4), followed by a report of the LM of a heavy fluid leak spread all around no.3 engine.

Captain levelled the aircraft and commanded to shut-down no.3 engine.

As engine was shut-down yawing and noise was the reaction of the caged engine, RPM at the time (as I am told by the engineer) was reading off scale high, emergency was declared, descent was approved and initiated.

During a controlled descent at level 170 the “Big Bang†occurred. Fuggy, misty, fear, and silent is the only words to describe that moment.

Captain hardly regained the aircraft control, co-pilot reported the no existence of no.3 prop, no response in intercom with the rest of the crew at the cargo, utility hydraulic pressure showing zero, #2 engine RPM cycling around the hundred while throttles shaking on the firm and steady hand of the captain.

Three EDPs glowing lights on the hydraulic control panel telling the crew the eternal message; “You are left with the one and one onlyâ€.

While setting course to Adirondack Airport (NY); Captain command the “available†crew to lower manually the gears, the second flight engineer -as I am told- crawled to pass the “Big Bang Holes†through hydro slippery cargo floor to reach the left main gear, there he noticed the four missing crew “Aliveâ€, a smile and thumb up exchanged, the good news delivered to the forward crew giving them the strength and determination to bring the “BIRD†safe to ground.

They worked as a team to manually lower the main and extend the nose with the last drop of the AUX.

By the end at the side of the “RUN†wheels ceased by the two prop reverse and the one brake application.

There at the side, where the “Tough Wounded BIRD†landed safe, twelve untouched fearless living souls were putting face down to ground praising Gad.

The way I read the story, it sounds like the engine was windmilling after shutdown. Almost sounds like NTS wasn't set. I'm told the propeller will fly itself apart at 110% rpm. Then again, it should have been on it's way to feather by then and unable to windmill. A lot about that situation sounds bad.