AC Generator question

cleanncut

Hi, I have looked around for quite some time, and I must say, wonderful ressource and good technical advice on the forum ;)

I do I a question,

I'm in the Canadian Air Force and our technical book say the following

AC Generator Removal

15. Remove the AC generator as follows:

The AC generator and voltage regulator shall be of the same manufacturer. Ensure that both components are replaced at the same time even if only one component is unserviceable. This applies to all five AC generators and voltage regulators.

could someone tell me why?

when I change an engine/qecu I do not change the regulator but if I change a generator I will..

thanks

The regulator must be changed to match the generator, regardless if just the generator is changed or the QEC is changed. Our USAF T.O.s don't mention it either for the engine change, but do for the generator, just like your books. Oops.

I have no idea if our engine packages have generators on them.

when I change an engine/qecu I do not change the regulator but if I change a generator I will..

That's entirely up to you, but that perfect storm scenerio can happen. Every base has a different setup. At Little Rock, our supply lines are set up to recieve only one type of generator, so we've never had the situation where we've had to change the voltage regulator. On a recent engine change, our E&E actually found our new engine had a different branded generator. They said if we ran the engine, the generator would have burned up. They searched high and low for the voltage regulator and came to the conclusion that we couldn't get it at our base quickly because we just don't stock it. They changed the generator on the brand new motor just to speed up serviceability of the aircraft.

Our aircraft did not have GCU's, and checking the generator is in our engine change tech data, so if we didn't check compatibility, we'd be standing tall the next day.

Hope this helps someone.