Most recent to AMARG

bobdaley

Questions about Little Rock.

Has the 62 and the new Reserve Sq got all their H's from the Guard and Reserve?

Which H's did they get?

What is the new Reserve Sq number?

What about the 2 AMC E model units 53 and 61 AS

Are they both flying E's? or E's and H's

How many Dyess H's have they got? I recently saw that they were flying 74-1680 and 1689?

Is the end result supposed to be the 53 and 61 in Dyess H's and the 62 to shut down?

Thanks

Bob

There is still a lot up in the air and the hiring process is way behind for the reserves. We have a myriad of H2s consisting of early H2s, normal H2s, and a H2.75. I have not heard of what the squadron name will be for the reserves. I think we are still getting H2s, especially as our E's are being retired or transferred to the 19th AW.

The final plan is to deactivate the 62nd and the 48th and then reactivate the 62nd as the J model FTU.

The Guard unit in Oklahoma City (137th ARW) is at the Will Rogers World Airport. That's where 1834 is now located. The bird will be used primarily for our aeromeds to train, but can also be used by several other groups on base.

We were a victim of BRAC, but the base and most of the support functions are still at Will Rogers ANGB. The maintenance group and most of the ops group moved to Tinker to be associated with the 507th ARW (AFRC). We are one of only two ARC associates in the AF. (Niagara Falls being the other)

I think the latest iteration of the H2 airplane steal for Little Rock trainers is that a number of Guard and Reserve H2 units are now expected to LOAN ISO-fresh airplanes to Little Rock. When, who and how many is subject to negotiation. However, most affected units are providing one aircraft for five years. Some have already started. Ft. Worth and Alaska I believe have already started their commitment.

RUMOR Control needed here >> I've heard that Pope had to perminantly cough up a few airplanes. I don't know how true that is, so take it with a grain of salt.

I suspect this will continue until all aircraft have been AMPed.

Bob, the 53d (my squadron) is the H1 squadron at LRF. The 61st is the E model squadron, however, we still have some E models on our books. Right now we are still triple qual'd (E, H1, H3), and those plans don't look like they will change.

Railrunner, I was talking to a Minnesota ARC guy last week, and he mentioned that Pope will only have 2 tails on their ramp starting this summer. His source was a buddy of his from Pope, and that the Pope guys are not too happy about having all of their tails gone.

I fondly remember 62-1834 in MSP for many years, she was affectiantly known as the Tractor, she was always reliable. We inherited the 62's from the reserve unit in Maryland when they went to C-141's back in 1985 and flew them for about 16 more years before we got H2's. The day a crew from Yokota was to pick up 62-1834 and take it back to Japan I remember that they where somewhat surprised that the aircraft looked better than any they flew, they could not believe it was a 62 model. I have tracked that airplane for several years after I retired knowing that it would fly right up to the end. Many hours in the center seat of that old girl. Hope they take good care of her down in Oak City.

How about 7840? She was the bird i got to see at Martinsburg last fall. She was supposed to be goin' away sometime after the first of the year. I put one of our wooden nickels from Vietnam veterans chapter 172 on her before I got off. Probably will be the last E model, if not the last Herk I will ever be on..........

Giz

It went to the Boneyard in October.

Bob

Damn, only a little over a month fter I saw her....... Like losin' another friend, I reckon. She was so very much like i remembered our old E's, very little differnce. Somewhere on her is a wooden coin about the size of a quarter, on one side it has the log of Chapter 172, VVA, and on the other side it says 'Welcome Home." Hope it stay son her for a long, long time.

Giz

I am quite certain that 7819 is still at LRAFB, over parked with the MX trainer aircraft. Not too sure if she will ever fly again or will eventually be disassembled in-place. I had heard before the aircraft was undergoing some sort of sheet metal repair and an incorrect cut was made, grounding her indefinitely. Maybe a LR MX person "in the know" will come along add some more info to the actual story and future of her.

Hello MSPFE,

I've been emailing back and forth over the last week with Randy Kenowski, who crewed Tractor with Bruce Moins. I understand Moins retired a few years ago. I learned about the name when I came across an issue of the Viking Flyer online, with the two page article chronicling 1834s exploits. She needs a bath, but doesn't look too worn now. It's been fun researching her history.

• 3 weeks later...

I fondly remember 62-1834 in MSP for many years, she was affectiantly known as the Tractor, she was always reliable. We inherited the 62's from the reserve unit in Maryland when they went to C-141's back in 1985 and flew them for about 16 more years before we got H2's. The day a crew from Yokota was to pick up 62-1834 and take it back to Japan I remember that they where somewhat surprised that the aircraft looked better than any they flew, they could not believe it was a 62 model. I have tracked that airplane for several years after I retired knowing that it would fly right up to the end. Many hours in the center seat of that old girl. Hope they take good care of her down in Oak City.

We called her "Eighteen Dirty Whore" at Yokota. She could be stubborn at times, but generally behaved. I flew her to lots of places around the pacific, including Papua New Guinea, Australia, the Philippines, and SE Asia for the REPAT efforts in Cambodia, Laos, and Vietnam. Hope she continues to serve well in her new role...