MC-130 Vs C-130

Dutch

The C-130 is your basic trash-hauler, but the MC-130 is designed for special operations, specifically infiltration, exfiltration, and resupply. They are built from a KC-130 baseline, as they are required to refuel Blackhawks and Ospreys.

I am not as knowledgeable about the older Combat Talons, but my understanding is that they had the SOF wing added along with some upgraded generators.

AFSOC has publicly disclosed that the MC-130J adds an extended service life wing, an enhanced cargo handling system, a boom refuelling receptacle, an electro-optic/infrared sensor, a combat systems operator station on the flight deck and armor.

Jansen is right. There are several differences between the planes. There are also differences in the MC's. There are 4 different MC's right now with differences between each of them. It just all depends on primary mission. Google MC-130E, MC-130P, MC-130H, MC-130W. This will explain a lot more and tell some of the extra equipment and different missions of these aircraft. I almost forgot we now have the MC-130J.

• 1 month later...

To begin with, the MC-130 designation didn't even come out until 1978. I was at Pope in the 779th when the first C-130E-Is were delivered. Now bear in mind that ARRS already had HC-130HS that had the Fulton system on them. For some reason TAC decided to have it installed on enough E-models to set up a squadron with four detachments. We were briefed on the new mission then several of us went to the flight line to check out the first one, which had just been delivered from Lockheed. The only thing different about it was that it had the Fulton system on the nose with cables running to the wingtips and the winch in the back. They also had terrain-following autopilots like the ones used on B-52s. (People who weren't around back then don't realize that SAC used to fly low-level missions at night simulating nuclear delivery.) Other than that, they were just another E-model. In fact, the 779th went on a 90-day TDY to Mactan to "get more combat experience" and while we were gone the wing at Pope pulled the winch equipment out of the airplanes and installed dual rails and used them for regular TAC training missions. There is an Air Force video on the Traditions C-130 video that shows one of the airplanes taking off from Pope. That particular film was shot to introduce mechanics to the C-130E and I sort of think they used one of the -Is to make it. Later on they started installing a bunch of additional equipment such as a radio operators station, an EWO station and some other equipment that wasn't originally on the airplane. They also painted them with special paint that was supposed to absorb radar energy - it was black and green. Then they sent a couple to CCK and they started flying the same missions Naha crews had been flying in A-models for years, particularly leaflet drops over North Vietnam. The only missions flown with the Fulton system were training missions.

BTW, the Fulton system was installed on the assembly line at Marietta. If any trash-haulers were modified, it was to replace losses. Two of the HEAVY CHAIN airplanes eventually went to Hurlburt, but using serial numbers and tail numbers of the first two C-130Es lost in Vietnam. Those special ops folks can really perform miracles! They can even resurrect dead airplanes.

• 1 month later...

I was lucky enough to be assigned to the 318th SOS at Pope AFB. We started with 5 "Black Birds" but lost one to a midair collision with a fighter during a night EWO Pro mission in Dec, '72. Back then, I was a prop man on flying status and flew with a bunch of outstanding crew members. I really enjoyed picking up "Sam" and "George" and the night TF missions. Flying with them is what initially made me decide to become a flight engineer. The 318th eventually moved to Hurlburt, and became the 8th SOS. Now they fly CV-22s.

• 2 weeks later...

To begin with, the MC-130 designation didn't even come out until 1978. I was at Pope in the 779th when the first C-130E-Is were delivered. Now bear in mind that ARRS already had HC-130HS that had the Fulton system on them. For some reason TAC decided to have it installed on enough E-models to set up a squadron with four detachments. We were briefed on the new mission then several of us went to the flight line to check out the first one, which had just been delivered from Lockheed. The only thing different about it was that it had the Fulton system on the nose with cables running to the wingtips and the winch in the back. They also had terrain-following autopilots like the ones used on B-52s. (People who weren't around back then don't realize that SAC used to fly low-level missions at night simulating nuclear delivery.) Other than that, they were just another E-model. In fact, the 779th went on a 90-day TDY to Mactan to "get more combat experience" and while we were gone the wing at Pope pulled the winch equipment out of the airplanes and installed dual rails and used them for regular TAC training missions. There is an Air Force video on the Traditions C-130 video that shows one of the airplanes taking off from Pope. That particular film was shot to introduce mechanics to the C-130E and I sort of think they used one of the -Is to make it. Later on they started installing a bunch of additional equipment such as a radio operators station, an EWO station and some other equipment that wasn't originally on the airplane. They also painted them with special paint that was supposed to absorb radar energy - it was black and green. Then they sent a couple to CCK and they started flying the same missions Naha crews had been flying in A-models for years, particularly leaflet drops over North Vietnam. The only missions flown with the Fulton system were training missions.

Sam when I was assigned to Talons in 1977 they were MC's and not true that the only STAR (Fulton) missions flow were training.

Skip, you were probably on them when the designation was changed. As far as operational missions with the Fulton System, none were flown over North Vietnam. There were some training missions in South Vietnam but no operational missions. There were only about nineteen special ops missions flown over North Vietnam and most of them were flown by DUCK HOOK C-123s. The detachment left South Vietnam and moved to Kadena around 1971.

• 2 weeks later...

I don't know where your info came from regarding special ops missions over North Vietnam came from but, during my time with the units (Det 1, 15 ACS & 15 SOS) at Nha trang (1967-1970) we definately had more than 19 ourself.

I personally had 8 and everyone of our 6 crews flew at least 4-5. I don't know how many were flowen by the first crews from 1966-1967 but I'm sure quite a few. 1st Flight actually had more missions up North than we did.

You're correct however about no Fulton System missions over the North. Numerious live pickups were made in the South however.