Anyone recognize these young troops?

gizzard

Ken,

Coming out of B-47 training at Amarillo my AFSC was 43131E. I arrived at pope shortly after 1 Jan. 1964. Pope was crowded with dozens and dozens of us destined to become C-130 Maint. types, but not really ready for all of us. We were billetted in old WWII open bay barracks for several months. My cross training into 4 engine turboprop started some weeks after arrival at Pope and consisted of a combinatioin of class room study and on the job training on the flight line. After receiving my 43151F AFSC I was assigned to the "post dock". My first TDY (I volunteered for it, actually begged) was for "Desert Strike" in early May of 1964.While looking up this information I ran across an old W-2. My earnings for 1964 (my first full calendar year in the USAF) was a nifty $1,029.60!!!!!!

Chris (tinwhistle)

I have a question to all of you former jet engine bomber guys. What was your AFSC when you left your schools?

What did it take to cross-train to the turbo prop AFSC? Just FTD school or was there more schooling other than OJT?

Ken

Ken, In the early to early mid '60s that tech school was called "JET OVER TWO ENGINES" and awarded a 43131E to the new guys. In about '63 the "F" shred out came into being and troops that had OJT on C 130s with an "E" were given a "F" as a primary with "E" as a secondary.The JET OVER TWO SCHOOL at Shepard used an A model 130 (roman nose) as it's main trainer while the school at Chanute used a B 47.

At that time all it took to cross train was OJT or FTD school.

I graduated from the B-47 tech training course at Amarillo in Sep. 57 with an E AFSC shredout. From there was sent to the 9th BW at Mt. Home AFB, a B-47E outfit. When I reenlisted in 61 requested an overseas assignment. About a year later finally recieved an assignment to Rhein Main AB. Upon arrival discovered my new outfit was flying C-130As What the hell was that big fan on the front of the jet engine. Couple of years later it seems the AF decided the turbo prop guys needed their own AFSC. One day in my mail box there turned up an AF form 1098 informing me I was now a 43171F. I kept the F untill about 72 when was awarded a 9 level. This spelled the begining of the end for me in the herk world.

Thanks guys, You have all answered my question. When I started Tech School at Shepard I was assigned to AFSC 43131F--and of course didn't know what it was until the 1st. SGT looked it up for me and it said Turboprop Acft. Maintenance!!

Of course, that didn't help much as I had never heard of a C-130!! I did know what a B-47 was though!!

Larry, refresh my memory--when I passed my 3-level training at Naha, I became a 5-level! What were the requirements for a 7-level and then the 9-level!! I don't know if I ever knew anybody with a 43191F rating!!

Now's the time to be asking those questions-----I should have known them when I was in!!!

Ken

Oh, I now remember that it took a 7-level to sign off a Red X !!!! (I think)

Edited by Mt.crewchief
Brain Fart

Some masters were 9 levels and as I recall all seniors and chiefs were 9 levels so I'm sure you knew a 9 or two. When the 9 was earned the letter suffix was lost because the individual is now in management.

I knew at least one 5 level E4 who could sign off a RED X .

Right you are GVS we had many E-4's with over 4 years service in the 60's. After they changed the E-4 from A1C to Sgt the section chief could put you on Red X orders if he knew you had the experience and they needed more people to sign off Red X's. The change over to Sgt had some fuzzy meaning that since you were an NCO now you could accept more responsibilities. I.E., Red X qualified. Still had to be a Staff to start 7 level training which was good thru Master at which time you started 9 level upgrade training for E8 & E9. The change from the E to F shredout took nothing more than a new 1098 being cut by training after a little local training or a C-130 FTD school. Bill

Thanks guys, You have all answered my question. When I started Tech School at Shepard I was assigned to AFSC 43131F--and of course didn't know what it was until the 1st. SGT looked it up for me and it said Turboprop Acft. Maintenance!!

Of course, that didn't help much as I had never heard of a C-130!! I did know what a B-47 was though!!

Larry, refresh my memory--when I passed my 3-level training at Naha, I became a 5-level! What were the requirements for a 7-level and then the 9-level!! I don't know if I ever knew anybody with a 43191F rating!!

Now's the time to be asking those questions-----I should have known them when I was in!!!

Ken

Oh, I now remember that it took a 7-level to sign off a Red X !!!! (I think)

If I remember correctly from my 431X1A years (that's recips) the 9-levels didn't have a shred-out.