C-130J with gear problems

herkfixer

Heard about this yesterday on the news and a mil-air monitoring group.

This is a 146th bird from Channel Islands at Peterson AFB, CO.

Word that I had heard was "torque strut had broken" by looking at the picture I would say that the main strut broke and is hanging from the torque strut. In my 21 years crewing I have never heard or seen such a thing.

http://www.gazette.com/articles/landing-116395-springs-airport.html

Click on the "enlarge" for a better view.

73, Rex

I might have the date in my notes somewhere, but there was a similar incident in '91 or '92 involving a Little Rock bird. As I recall, it was involved in a hard landing at the All-American Drop zone (Camp Robinson?). As the airplane rotated off, the right aft strut came apart. The airplane landed back at LR, and the wheel folded under the fuselage. You could stand in the cargo compartment and see the ground thru the hole it created.

Had a similar incident happen to a Pittsburgh H model '86-0419' at Roosevelt Roads. If I remember correctly, the front right main strut came apart hanging by the torque strut from the aft gear. Gear collapsed when they landed and threw parts of number 4 prop through the fuselage. Nobody hurt but lots of damage.

Had a similar incident happen to a Pittsburgh H model '86-0419' at Roosevelt Roads. If I remember correctly, the front right main strut came apart hanging by the torque strut from the aft gear. Gear collapsed when they landed and threw parts of number 4 prop through the fuselage. Nobody hurt but lots of damage.

As you can see in the picture the #4 engine is already "caged" for landing, obviously to avert the problems that you mentioned.

73, Rex

:eek: I literally just walked off that bird for a night profile HE/CDS. Has Pope/Bragg on the tail now but apparently it now "belongs" to the rock for good.

Rec ride-complete :D

A similar malfunction occurred on a Combat Talon 64-0561 after 36 touch and go landings at CCK on 24 November 1966, and the aircraft was flown to a foamed runway at Kadena where it landed safely (from "The Praetorian Starship" by Jerry Thigpen)

I might have the date in my notes somewhere, but there was a similar incident in '91 or '92 involving a Little Rock bird. As I recall, it was involved in a hard landing at the All-American Drop zone (Camp Robinson?). As the airplane rotated off, the right aft strut came apart. The airplane landed back at LR, and the wheel folded under the fuselage. You could stand in the cargo compartment and see the ground thru the hole it created.

I remember that incident. Pretty cool landing.

Engine Mike