Oil leak

msrf

Some quick things to look at:

Check the scavenge system back pressure.

Maximum is 30 PSI. Clean/replace oil cooler, fuel heater, hoses, and/or scavenge oil filter element as necessary

to bring the pressure to normal.

Make a ground run to see if oil consumption/venting

is occurring all the time or just at altitude.

Sometimes, draining all the oil, sumps, cooler, lines, etc., and refilling with new oil will solve the problem. Contaminated or mixed oil, or oil that has lost its anti-foaming characteristics may be the problem.

If the problem appears to be altitude related, replace, as necessary, the oil tank pressurizing valve (old valve P/N 697218-l set at 3.5 +/- 0.5 PSI, new

valve P/N 697218-3 set at 5 +/- 0.5 PSI), or the oil tank filler cap seal; and check the upper portion of the oil tank for cracks.

During flight, determine if the problem of oil venting is related to air speed and/or attitude (nose high).

NOTE: If venting occurs during or soon after takeoff regardless of attitude or altitude, the reduction gear prop

shaft seal is suspect.

NC97: MY INFO OUT OF AN OLD BOOK YOUR PART NUMBER IS MORE BETTER!!

Edited by bischoffm

If the problem appears to be altitude related, replace, as necessary, the oil tank pressurizing valve (old valve P/N 697218-l set at 3.5 +/- 0.5 PSI, new

valve P/N 697218-3 set at 5 +/- 0.5 PSI):

If you are referring to the pressure relief valve, the P/N is 411600-3, NSN 4820-00-484-9024, and is set to 5 +/- 0.4psig from 2 CFM through 10 CFM IAW SMP850-79-13, REV 21. 697218-1 is discontinued withuot replacement, and no such part number (-3) exists IAW FedLog.

MSRF, if you are at Dyess, I was the FE that did the FCF on that plane (72). Three FCF's followed by 3 IFE's. I know you guys R2 the engine over the weekend and FCF went perfect. All my engine runs were perfect prior to take off and as we were climbing out and I am doing the NTS checks and leading edge checks, you could see#1 oil quantity going down. Leveling off did not help and very quickly the plane gave us no choice. On the first flight I got a low prop oil light on #3 also. That kinda sucked but if you unscrew the light bulb, it doesn't bother you so much!

Did you guys finally find something?