AC-130A in Desert Storm

KoenL

A friend of mine runs a website ( http://dstorm.eu/ ) dedicated to the airwar part of Operation Desert Storm. On his website he tries to get complete lists of every aircraft that has taken part along with images and extra information where possible.

While he does have a list of some of the Spectres that took part in the war he's not sure if the list is complete and he's always looking for more info. I will start another seperate topic for the AC-130H in ODS later. Does anyone have any additions/corrections to this AC-130A list?

Serialnumber Nose Art Comment

53-3129 The First Lady

54-1623 Ghost Rider

54-1630 Azrael - Angel of Death 6 mission markings (camels)

55-0011 Night Stalker 6 mission markings (5 camels, 1 crab)

55-0014 Jaws of Death 23 mission markings (camels)

55-0046 Proud Warrior

56-0509 Ultimate End

56-0522 C-130A assigned to 711st SOS for high priority cargo

and personnel transport

Some questions/remarks:

53-3129: Did she fly any combat missions? Did any missionmarkings get applied and do pictures exist?

54-1623: Same question as for the above

55-0011: What does the crab symbol marking stand for?

55-0046: There are pictures of this aircraft with 12 pineapple (?) markings and 1 crab marking. Do these originate from ODS and what do they stand for?

56-0509: There are pictures of this one with 11 pineapple markings, from ODS?

56-0522: Do any pictures of 56-0522's 711th SOS/ODS period exist?

Did any further AC-130A's take part?

Hope someone can shed some light on some of these questions.

Koen

• 2 weeks later...

I have the history on 5 of the last AC-130A's to leave Duke field in the mid 90's. It says 129 participated in Uphold Democracy but not Desert Shield/ Storm.

623 participated in Uphold Democracy and Desert Storm. It don't say how many missions it flew, just total hours, 13,900 and 4,300 combat hours...the most of any AC-130A that I have data on. 630 was the last AC-130A to engage in combat and scored the final kills. It received small arms fire and AAA threats and the entire crew received the DFC. 0014 scored the highest number of kills for the 919th and the entire crew received the Air Medal for the mission. Bill

Edited by Spectre623

Spectre has a web site you can visit and read the history. do a search for spectre assn

Thanks Bob. I looked at the site but couldn't find any listing of the conflicts individual aircraft took part in sadly

http://www.thepavecave.com/videos/movies/DESERT%20STORM%20(Let%20It%20Rock).mpg

Towards the end of the video you see 56-0522.

Engine Mike

Mike, thanks a lot. My friend had been looking for images of this aircraft for quite a while.

I have the history on 5 of the last AC-130A's to leave Duke field in the mid 90's. It says 129 participated in Uphold Democracy but not Desert Shield/ Storm.

623 participated in Uphold Democracy and Desert Storm. It don't say how many missions it flew, just total hours, 13,900 and 4,300 combat hours...the most of any AC-130A that I have data on. 630 was the last AC-130A to engage in combat and scored the final kills. It received small arms fire and AAA threats and the entire crew received the DFC. 0014 scored the highest number of kills for the 919th and the entire crew received the Air Medal for the mission. Bill

So that's

53-3129: Did she fly any combat missions? Did any missionmarkings get applied and do pictures exist? nope

54-1623: Did she fly any combat missions? yes

54-1630: already had the confirmation it was in ODS and some pics but your additional info is very informative!

55-0014: again thanks for the interesting extra information!

You said you had info on the 5 final aircraft of the unit so I guess the 5th didn't take part in ODS then? Thanks for the help!

Koen

• 3 weeks later...

Koen ,the 5th acft I have info on is 54-1628. You didn't ask about it so I did not include it. It was in UPHOLD DEMOCRACY but not ODS. It's name was "Exterminator" and retired with 4000 hrs. of combat and 15,100 total flying hours.

• 2 weeks later...