VA Hospital, South Carolina

donwon

I had an appointment at the AV Hospital yesterday May 4th.

As always I went to have my travel pay papers approved then took them to turn in and get my pay.

While in line with about 20 others I noticed where the travel pay was the same, but ther was a $6.00

deduction from the total.

I mentioned it kinda loud and the 20 other vets in the line all said there was the same deduction on their vouchers.

When I got to the pay window I ask the paymaster and she said that congress had voted on it and that was all she knew.

I didn't voice my thoughts to her cause I know she is only doing her job.

Anyone else know anything about this???

PS. My spell Check is lost and I don't know where to find it now.

The deductible has been in place for years. When the reimbursement rate was increased a couple of years ago the deductible also changed.

From the VA website:

Beneficiary Travel Benefits

Q. Can I get travel pay?

A. You may be eligible for VA beneficiary travel benefits for VA health care services if

■you have a service-connected (SC) rating of 30 percent or more, or

■you are traveling for treatment of a SC condition, or

■you receive a VA pension, or

■your income does not exceed the maximum annual VA pension rate, or

■you are traveling for a scheduled compensation or pension examination,

Q. Is there a deductible?

A. In most cases, travel benefits are subject to a deductible. Deductibles do not apply for compensation and pension examinations, travel by an ambulance or a specially equipped van. ** Be sure you complete your means test annually as it may change your deductible requirement.**

Q. How much would I get?

A. Mileage Rates:

General Travel ……………………41.5 cents/per mile

Scheduled appointments qualify for round-trip mileage. Unscheduled visits may be limited to return mileage only.

Deductible: ………………….…………$3.00 one-way

($6.00 round trip)

Deductibles do not apply for compensation and pension examinations, travel by an ambulance or a specially equipped van and/or those veterans in receipt of VA pension.

Could be but the deductibles have been in place for years. I travel about 300 miles round trip every three months for an appointment and the deductible is applied each time I go.

As far as I am concerned anything is far more than I ever expected. I certainly don't get a reimbursement for traveling to a civilian doctor.

Well I guess I won't have to worry about the mileage deduction. After retiring with 26 years, the VA told me I have to much money, placed me in a category 8 rating so I won't get to use the facilities. I live only four miles from a brand new VA clinic.

Larry, call the VAMC and make an appointment and ask for a hearing test, being around the mighty herk for all those years surely must have deminished some of your hearing. Was there any events during your career that might have been entered in your medical records that might have an effect on your health now or in the future? Any SEA time? The VA folks can not read your mind and they only work with what you tell them....so on your next visit tell them everything...even Herk bites that might have needed medical attention. Do you qualify for Tricare?

Good luck

Muff

Thanks Muff, I'll give it a try. Several places I was at had burn pits and I got the flight doc to annotate it in my records. Another place had many Chemical and Radiation Hazard - Do Not Enter signs posted. I have several pictures of the signs and the storage bunkers they were in. What did you say I couldn't hear you..............

• 2 weeks later...

That wouldn't surprise me one bit Dan.

When I go to the Clinic in Greenville some of the people at the desk tell me I'm not eligable for travel pay, but I insist on filing for it and get paid and others just give me the form to sign.

It takes a couple of months to get the pay by mail.

I Know, it takes forever to get paid when I file for travel from my clinic at South Bend but at least when i go to Ft. Wayne they pay right there at a cashiers window.

I will say that I was really spoiled with the VA down in the panhandle of FL, always "thank you for your service, what can we do for you?"

When I moved up here to IN, it was like, "why are you wasting my time, aint you dead yet you parasite?" it takes forever to get anything done and its a friggin joke - Its just like the the nightmare VA I have always heard of!!! Danke Gott that I have Medicare/Tricare for life and dont have to deal with the VA except for meds.

I made the mistake of trying to get Pain Management through the VA up here (I currently take 60mg of Percocet and 30mg of morphine a day for pain), went to Indy and they said they dont do pain meds (this is pain management) they think it counterproductive to a comprehensive pain management regime - what friggin idiots.