From the world of the J

PointyHead

Well, Ive been working an issue with RADAR for about a month, and it seems that the APN 241 is extremly sensitive to ESD. We all know that electronics are ESD sensitive but with the 241, if the RADOME is just a bit out of Bonding (grounding, lockheed came up with a special word lol) it was send RADAR Degraded ACAWS messages to the crew. YOU CAN NOT duplicate this on the ground.

Talk about kicking my ass for a month. Every day I work a J I see something new. Some times I miss the Legacy airframes that I worked F-15s and KC-135s...it was a lot more aircraft and a whole lot less computer.

just wanted to give a shout out to everyone, because one day we will all have J models lol. plus the Hs have 241 if I remember correctly.

Everyone Have a wonderful weekend.

Well, Ive been working an issue with RADAR for about a month, and it seems that the APN 241 is extremly sensitive to ESD. We all know that electronics are ESD sensitive but with the 241, if the RADOME is just a bit out of Bonding (grounding, lockheed came up with a special word lol) it was send RADAR Degraded ACAWS messages to the crew. YOU CAN NOT duplicate this on the ground.

Talk about kicking my ass for a month. Every day I work a J I see something new. Some times I miss the Legacy airframes that I worked F-15s and KC-135s...it was a lot more aircraft and a whole lot less computer.

just wanted to give a shout out to everyone, because one day we will all have J models lol. plus the Hs have 241 if I remember correctly.

Typically radomes are black because they have a graphite or carbon fiber content in the coating. The radome for the J (P/N 3333921-1) is black when delivered from the manufacturer (General Dynamics ADP, Marion, VA), but Lockheed elected to put a coat of gray color over the black. The intent of the black conductive coating is to disapate static buildup from friction with the air. If the "fog coat" of gray color is repeatedly touched-up, the anti-static capability of the original black coating is nullified. There is such a thing as gray radome paint that is used on fighters called flouroelastomer (with embedded carbon fibers), but that is not being used by Lockheed on the J-model.

That was based on information I had...not firsthand. I guess this would be the first case where the simulators were modified before the airplane, huh?

Yep! I was quite surprised when I showed up for a CRM sim two months ago and the box had the 241 display where the SKE scope goes. I mentioned to the LM operator that we don't have the 241 yet, and it surprised him too. I'll be glad to get the 241 in the H1s, I prefer it over the 59.

From the MX world I love the 241 over the 59, its a lot more user friendly. From the Operator world, its an awesome system. The ability to have have up to three modes running at once is great. Northrup made an awesome system. All we need is a Link 16 system like the 15s and the Js would be awesome. The MC J will be a beast of an aircraft.