DC-10 Question

OK, I know a lot of you guys/gals work in commercial aviation, so I'm addressing this question to you. The last time I was in the cockpit as a crewmember was in 8/03 and from my screen name, yep, it was a DC-10. So, here's my question -- does FedEx still fly any DC-10's or have they all been modified to MD-10's?

The answer will win/lose me a bet with a friend. A case of beer is riding on the correct answer, so if the answer is no more DC-10's, c'mon over and share a beer or two (or more) with me. Conversely, if the answer is that FedExstill flys the DC-10, please send me a buck toward the fund for the case of beer I'll have to spring for.

Thanks,

Don R.

Don, just for your info, here at UPS all of the DC-10s are MD-11s - glass cockpit, 2 pilots. Same for the 747s. We have the MD-11 and 747-400 sims here at the training facility.

The MD-11 is a completely different production aircraft... One thing being the MD-11 has roughly a 400K heavier MTOW...(MD-11 to a DC-10F-30)

The MD-10's started life as a DC-10 and been retrofitted with a Rigid Cargo Barrier, of which the DC-10 & MD-11 do not have, allows for more crew space, and elmination of the Net Stretch saftey area... Also they are retrofitted with MD-11 type glass flight station eliminating the F/E. As far as I know, FedEx is the only company to have opted for the MD-10 mod.

The MD-11 is a completely different production aircraft... One thing being the MD-11 has roughly a 400K heavier MTOW...(MD-11 to a DC-10F-30)

The MD-10's started life as a DC-10 and been retrofitted with a Rigid Cargo Barrier, of which the DC-10 & MD-11 do not have, allows for more crew space, and elmination of the Net Stretch saftey area... Also they are retrofitted with MD-11 type glass flight station eliminating the F/E. As far as I know, FedEx is the only company to have opted for the MD-10 mod.

Interesting

Thanks for all the positive replies. Ya'll better get yer asses over here if you want to share in this case of beer. The weekend's fast approaching and a case of beer doesn't last very long at this address. Oh, you don't have my address? Tough, more for me! Just kidding -- you're all welcome.

Don R.

Edited by DC10FE
spelling again!

I checked with one of our MD-11 instructors here. He said that the MD-11 was about 10 feet longer than the DC-10, and that the aft end was smaller than the DC-10, saving about 2,000 lbs in weight. Learn something new all the time. Or maybe just re-newing brain cell memories that have fallen under KRAFT.

I checked with one of our MD-11 instructors here. He said that the MD-11 was about 10 feet longer than the DC-10, and that the aft end was smaller than the DC-10, saving about 2,000 lbs in weight. Learn something new all the time. Or maybe just re-newing brain cell memories that have fallen under KRAFT.

Wanna say the MD-11 has a larger wingspan, to go along with the longer fuselage as well...