Old Herks

130eng

I have not heard of the 73's going to AMARG.

Last count I had there were 45 (now 42) USAF E's out there

AMC at Little Rock 14 Now 13

AETC at Little Rock 12 Now 10

MC130E AFR at Duke 10

ANG San Juan 6

AFSOC Hacks Hurlburt 3

Bob

Edit 62-1835, 63-7796, 63-7829 now at DM

Edited by bobdaley

• 2 months later...

I believe there are only three 1973 H Models that are flying as USAF slicks. 1582,1597,1598. They were at Dyess several years ago, I guess they are still there. The rest of the USAF's 73s are EC-130H. Hopefully if they keep them, they'll put APUs and big flt deck packs on them during the AMP mod.:)

I believe there are only three 1973 H Models that are flying as USAF slicks. 1582,1597,1598. They were at Dyess several years ago, I guess they are still there. The rest of the USAF's 73s are EC-130H. Hopefully if they keep them, they'll put APUs and big flt deck packs on them during the AMP mod.:)

Those are the "super E's".

• 2 weeks later...
They aren't all going at the same time. One month, we send one or two, then the next a couple more, and so on. At the 62nd, the last one flies out in September. I can't speak for the other "E" units.
Probably, they're sending the ones to the boneyard (and to museums) not that were built ten years earlier and had a lot more flying time. They also got the shit beat out of them in SEA.

Was that a testbed for the H's?
This whole H, Super H, etc. gets very confusing since those terms are of fairly recent origin. The original C-130H came out in the mid-60s but the Air Force didn't buy any for airlift. They did buy them as HC-130Hs. Large numbers of them were sold overseas. Later on, in the early sevenites, USAF started buying a later version of the H that had some additional improvements such as a GTC that could be started in flight (GTC stands for gas turbine compressor which includes ALL turbine engines) and Lockheed started calling it an APU since that was the term they were using on the C-141 and C-5. The only thing different between the E and the original H models were the engines (the only major difference between a B and an E is the pylon tanks.) Not certain, but I suspect the reason USAF didn't want to buy the original Hs was because it had already contracted for E models at a lower price. The ARRS airplanes were equipped with the Fulton Recovery System as well, but when TAC contracted for the C-130E-Is, they stuck with E-models for some reason.

Later on, in the early sevenites, USAF started buying a later version of the H that had some additional improvements such as a GTC that could be started in flight (GTC stands for gas turbine compressor which includes ALL turbine engines) and Lockheed started calling it an APU since that was the term they were using on the C-141 and C-5.

Sam,

The original trash-hauling H-models were the FY 1973 models ("Super E's") with what we know as the GTC. Starting in 1974, they were fitted with the APU, which could be operated in flight, although the FAA never certified it to be used in flight on the commercial Hercs.

Don R.

Sam,

The original trash-hauling H-models were the FY 1973 models ("Super E's") with what we know as the GTC. Starting in 1974, they were fitted with the APU, which could be operated in flight, although the FAA never certified it to be used in flight on the commercial Hercs.

Don R.

Sometimes those 73 H's were a pain in the ass when you had ham-fisted students doing T&Gs in winter and pushed the throttles forward so fast that the 900 call was like an afterthought. Pissed maintenance off a time or two by writing up the engines for over-torque. Not sure but I would imagine that 23K was a little high.

I may be thinking about an entirely different thing, but!

The "A's" had a GTC which ran an APU to power the plane on the ground but the APU could be ran by bleed air from any engine in flight, or on the ground.

After the FWd. cargo door was sealed closed it was almost impossable for a CC to open the GTC doors in flight.

HA HA HA Donwon what are you sippin on son...that post of yours cracked me up....still laughing !!! Fer some reason I never was able to open the GTC doors inflight either Ha Ha. Didn't have a long enough screwdriver I guess. Did you mean ATM instead of APU. Can you post a pic of yourself on your bio page when you were at Sewart...I can't place you but we had to have worked together in Delta flight for MSgt Wysocki. And Sam, there was a huge difference between the GTC and APU on the Herk. Apu had a 40KVA direct drive gen same as on the engines, where the GTC used an ATM driving a smaller amp gen. The APU was flight operable, the burner can was different i.e. the bulge on the w/w panel. Oil tank was on the APU where the GTC oil tank was in the cargo compartment, starters turned in opposite directions.....just saying. :) Bill

Edited by Spectre623

. Oil tank was on the APU where the GTC oil tank was in the cargo compartment, starters turned in opposite directions.....just saying. :) Bill

I always thought that was backwards -- you could service the oil tank on the GTC in flight, but couldn't run it, where as, on the APU, you could run it in flight but had no access to the oil tank. WTF?

Don R.