Well, I went and did it!!!!! Right or wrong???

Mt.crewchief

As the title says, I went and did it-----I applied for VA Health Benefits just to see if I qualified and just received notification that I am eligible for care as a Priority 6 veteran!! This process only took about a week from start to finish!! I am supposed to schedule an appointment with the Billings Clinic whenever I am ready. Now, my questions are, is this a physical?. I could go to the VA clinic in Billings (only 40 miles) to ask these questions but would rather ask some of you "experienced" guys first. We speak the same language!! Muff, I hope you are reading this as I think from what I have seen on this forum, you are directly involved in answering questions that I have. Some of the questions I have are about things like hearing loss and of course the Agent Orange stuff. My records from Naha, show where I was put on "noise-free duty" due to a hearing loss etc. When I physically go to the VA clinic do I bring that up, or do I let things slide for awhile until I know what I am doing? Also, is the purpose of the appointment at the Billings Clinic a physical or screening of some sort to check to see if I have any Agent Orange issues?

As you see, I am a "jeep" all over again!!! (45 yrs. later).

One other question, does the VA and Medicare work together? I am still working, so am using company health insurance at the time.

I do want to hear from you guys, as I respect your opinions more than the people that haven't been there and done that!!

Thanks a lot,

Ken

OK, Ken here goes...I ignore the fact that you were at Dover for 6 months :-)).

First off call and make an appointment at the clinic nearest to you and tell them you want a full physical. They will assign you to a Primary care doctor who you will see on every visit. When there tell everything that bugs you and that you want a hearing eval. They will refer you to the main hosp for special exams, AO, hearing, xray etc.

At 65 you should ask for a PSA test, a blood test to check for prostate cancer...any reading less than 4 is good. I have four friends here that never had a check and resently been diagnosed with advanced prostrate cancer. Also with the blood test they will check your cholestrol and other factors like diabeties. You should also ask for the full Agent Orange screening. Either in your area or at the main hospital seek out a DAV service rep or another service rep and ask them to submit paperwork for a service connected disability...hearing, or other documented injury you might have gotten while in the service. Herky bites do not count!

ALWAYS...tell the doctor, nurses everybody everything that you think might need their attention....they do not read minds. I also have found that the medical folks give outstanding care...never do they check on ranks or branch of service...every veteran is treated equal. The VA system services hundreds of thousands of paintents daily and only time you here about the VA care is once and a while there is an isolated screw up and the media love to blow it all out of proportion.

I have been volinteering as an Information Greeter for the past 15 years at two of the bigest VAMCs and I couldnt be more pleased with the care I've seen. Now the admin folks often times could need some improvement, but you know how that goes with the civilian force. Good luck and if you need any more info dorp me an e-mail at frankmillen#charter.net

Muff

PS Medicare and VA work hand in hand no need to do anything.

Hey Muff, I was hoping you would see this!!!! As far as PSA etc. the place that I work gives us a free wellness check every year in November and sends it to the doctor that I will be seeing! The Billings Clinic has a clinic here in my home town of Columbus. Our wellness check is complete with all of the blood work etc. and my PSA is a 1 and all of my other stuff is good. My doctor complimented me on that! Also, I have a hearing check once a year where I work and I have the baseline since 1972. I have saved the most current test so maybe they won't want to do another but I will ask for one anyway! This same doctor also has prescribed an anti-depressant for what I think is PTSD due to the fact that I can't fly on anything anymore, and had to quit back packing because of darkness and claustrophobia etc. I kind of think this is due to 40 (sometimes hair-raising) Blind Bat missions. I still have all of the symptoms as before but with the Paxill, I can cope!!

I really appreciate your interest in my case, and I will follow your instructions explicitly. I will also let you know of my progress so in case you see somebody else with my symptoms etc. you might be able to help them!!

Now, do you think I should try to keep my 6 months at Dover quiet!! Now that's funny!!

Thanks again,

Ken

Edited by Mt.crewchief
CRS

sounds pretty much like what I have done over the past three weeks or so, I am also a 6, had the AO registry exam, they used some of my medical reports from a physical I just had, and as she went through the process,checkin' off everything, she found several items that would qualify me for some VA disability. I am, all told, in good condition for 62, and that is in defiance of my prior career as a firefighter. As for the PSA, my wife is an oncology nurse, and recent studies have shown two things, while the PSA is an INDICATOR, the old finger wave, properly done, has a MUCH higher detection rate, and much earlier. Number two, a lot of the forms of prostate cancers are so slow growing that the patient dies of something else, like old age.BUT I and she, both heartily agree with Muff when he encourages the test, but make sure you have a good rectal exam also. I have had, as i stated in another post on this board, a good experience with VA up to this point. far better than my dad had, for sure. I certainly am not out to get anything handed to me, but these folks are goin' out of their way to finally say "Thank you" in a meaningful way. The one thing I have experienced dealin' with these people is a strange feelin' in my chest, it is, i think, a bit of pride coming back. I think, also, if they are doing things like this for me, then our poor brothers and sisters who have suffered way more than i have, are, most likely, well cared for too. I am certain there are those who play the system and all, but most are decent people, just like the ones on this board. Especially you Nam guys, would you have expected such care, concern and help forty years or so ago??????????? Let's hope the new generation gets taken care of as well. Okay, too long over DZ, red light on, doors comin' closed.

Giz

• 1 month later...

I finally filed a claim in june 2010. had to gather copies of med records, etc. I was evaluated at the VA clinic at Pensacola, Fl and like Giz, I found the personnel to be very professional and respectful. Proving boots on the ground in Viet Nam was difficult and I don't know if my "proof" has been accepted or not. My claim is in the "Decision" phase so maybe I'll hear something soon. Good Luck

Well, I am still waitin' on my further evaluations. Of course, havin' to deal with the Peoples' Republick of Maryland in this sitaution, who knows how long this will go. But I have started a campaign with all my buddies who are vets to get into the programs, I may very well help one of them get a diagnosis for something in time to do something about it. As I have said in other posts, as a result of my military service and my subsequent service as a career firefighter, I have a lot of potential for developing some kind of health issues. But, on the other hand, I have taken fairly good care of myself, for the most part, no way near what I should have perhaps, but I have had a whole bunch of various tests over the past three months or so, and basically all that is wrong with me is old age. But, I don't think I look 62, sometimes I feel it, but the whole point for me is to encourage guys, and gals as well, to get a decent checkup and all, some place, some how. Time is our enemy, and like I said before, my wife is an oncology nurse, and I bet she tells me three or four times a week about how so many new patients come in, in really dire circumstances, that possibly, if it had been diagnosed sooner, the outcome would be so much better. We have two friends, right now, one a nurse believe it or not, a damn good one, and a guy I have known since grade school, that have conditions that are going to impact them very heavily, and both had just not taken the time to get a check up, and yes, the guy has prostate cancer, one of the vicious types, and it has involved his colon and rectum now.All this is comin' from a guy who absolutely hates doctors and such, and am certainly not a hypochondriac, but I have learned some mighty strong lessons. So ALL of you who may read this, think about yourselves and others in your life,and get yourselves checked out.It ain't for the money,by no means, damn few, if any, on this particular site, would even consider that. Our old bird still flies because people like you all took care of them, repaired them, flew them right, and by damn we should do the same for ourselves.

Load clear, ramp and door comin' closed

Giz

Damn you Giz, Now you did it!!! You know, since I am the one that started this thread you would think I might have my sh*t together, but you would be wrong!! Since I got the clearance and a Cat. 6 rating, I still haven't been to the VA clinic!!! Everyday it seems like, something comes up and I put it off to another day and then of course something else comes up! You know vacations, grand kids, relatives ,etc. etc.! This time you finally did it, you got through to me! I am calling tomorrow and scheduling an appointment!! No more procrastinating! Your post today has made me think some more about things and I have decided to get off my butt and do something !!

Thanks for the motivational speech and also you too Muff,

Ken

You ain't got any idea how good this makes me feel. Hope nothin' serious shows up, but you will have a good baseline for the future which will make other changes or issues more obvious. Good luck, brother...........Now the rest of ya jump on board, too

Giz

You ain't got any idea how good this makes me feel. Hope nothin' serious shows up, but you will have a good baseline for the future which will make other changes or issues more obvious. Good luck, brother...........Now the rest of ya jump on board, too

Giz

Giz I may be wrong but I think you are one in a million. Always good questions, good comments and good input. Thanks!

Giz,

GVS is right, you are somebody that I feel like I have known for a long time!! I called the VA in Billings today and have an appt. for Aug. 30th. Also have received an invite to an orientation and tour of the facilities any day between now and my appointment. I will keep you guys posted!!

GVS,

Giz is a good guy, and he is not the only one on this forum. I find it is a good place to hang out and shoot the bull with the guys.

Giz,

Don't let our compliments go to your head!!!!!

Thanks again for your encouragement,

Ken

What????? One in a million????????????? Ya mean there are 310 more people in this country like me??????????? Oh dread the thought!!!!!!!! naw, I ain't nothin' special, by any means. I DO have my moments, too. But I am just a hillbilly kid who was brought up with the notion that ya gotta do the right thing. I somehow developed an ability to get ideas and such across to a wide range of people, and i try to put that to good use. and if this thread helps just one person, then that is fine by me. AND I am just one of so many great people who visit this site. Brought together by a big ol' flyin' machine to the benefit of the whole world, whether we will ever know how much or not. Thanks to all of you,that I can gratefully call brothers, and sisters

laod clear

Giz

Giz Said: "As for the PSA, my wife is an oncology nurse, and recent studies have shown two things, while the PSA is an INDICATOR, the old finger wave, properly done, has a MUCH higher detection rate, and much earlier.

I have a female doctor and the other day while getting the finger check she told me that I would have to stop masterbating...huh? why? then she said well I'm trying to examen you!

Muff

"I have a female doctor and the other day while getting the finger check she told me that I would have to stop masterbating...huh? why? then she said well I'm trying to examen you!

Muff"

Darn Muff, some people get all the fun / luck:-))

• 4 weeks later...

So Ken, how is your VA process coming out?

It took me three years to get my rating finally straightened out, believe me the admin idiots for the VA are just that.

If you have any problems with your rating when you get it I can help you out with filling out the 21-4138 (statement in support of claim).

The first time I filed I let the American Legion guys help me, but the subsequent 20 or 30 filings I just did myself so I am pretty familiar with the process.

Here's wishing you good luck with your rating decision, hopefully your admin moron is a little sharper than the ones I dealt with in FL (like the time I got a rating increase of 20% and they TOOK that rating out of my pay like it was downgraded!!!!! It took me four months to get my money back)

Hey, welcome back! We haven't heard from you in awhile! Thanks for taking an interest in my VA stuff!

I have been to the clinic in Billings twice now. So far, I am very pleased with the place and the people. The clinic is brand new and very modern. The first visit was mostly just that---answered a lot of questions and explained that I would probably have a few claims in the future. That day I had an EKG and a chest x-ray that were both good. I think they did those first because I have a family history of heart problems. Yesterday I went down for complete lab tests and got the results today!!

My PSA was good as were all of my other tests. Next week I go down for stress(treadmill) test and an ultra-sound. I don't know when I will see a doctor but I am also scheduled for a hearing test in the near future.

I assume this is the way they do things there instead of doing everything at once. I will make sure to get my AO screen done also!

I think they are dragging it out a little as my representative is a very nice looking young lady and she wants me!!!! (yeh, right)

If any of you other guys want to weigh in on this (especially Muff and Giz), feel free. I need all of the help I can get.

Ken

Dan, I hope you get rid of your new ailment! I just read it on your other post! Here in Montana, several people have gotten very ill & died from Hantavirus cleaning out Deer Mice nests from old buildings etc. So, take care!!!!

Edited by Mt.crewchief
adding stuff

Mt/chief, sounds like you are makin' progress. i got a letter from the maryland dept. of veteran's affairs sayin' they were 'working" on my application. Well, I'll tell'em one thing, I ain't gonna die before they finish it. I haven't had my hearing test or any of that yet. Course anybody familiar with the peoples republick of maryland can understand. they are figgerin' out a way to tax me for it!!!!!!!!!!! My wife tells me some of the treatments for Dan's issues are pretty nasty, too, so I think all of us need to give him a thought and whatever else your beliefs and inclinations are ever once in a while. That's the least we can do, and you can bet he would do the same for us.

SEMPER POPULUS HERCULIAS!!!!

Giz

• 2 weeks later...

Hard to tell, if after a week of no new posts if this will get picked up again or not, but here goes. I got started on VA health Care back on about 1995 at the urging of the VFW. Glad I did. MTcrew chief, you're just getting started so be patient. Sounds as if you are in pretty good health, I'll email you soon. For you other guys out there DO NOT DELAY!!! Make that application now, especially you Vietnam guys, it's important. You have benefits coming and you earned them and and you should received them. We all made that pledge, and when we did we signed a blank check to the United States of America, payable on demand with our life if nessary. You (we all) upheld our end of the bargain and The Country (VA) needs to uphold thier end of the deal. I live in Wisconsin and we have a pretty decent Regional Office in Milwaukee, and by all standards they did me a good job, and I cannot fault at any point the care that I have received at the Vets hospital in Madison. A couple more points, remember that every sylable you say at ant point in any VA facility will be written down. Get everything in writing, and when you send anything to them keep a copy and send thiers "certified mail", you need that signature. If you have any symptoms of what you think is PTSD see a VA mental health provider, civilian shrinks don't rate very high with VA, and me either for that matter, for example, civilians have no clue what it's like to load up 10 or 12 litters of dead GI's and haul them to the morgue. The biggest problem that we maintanance types have is proving boots on the ground, but it can be done. I've taken up enough of your time for now, but I'm willing to lend a hand to anyone out there......Chris

Ken, glad you are getting progress on your claims...Like Giz seys...most of the VA admin folks are not the brightest bulbs in the box.

Prayers and thoughts go out to Dan.

For you folks that have a service connected disability of 30% or more qualify for travel pay from home to the medical facility at around 47 cents per mile. I went over three years and did not know that. They will only go back 30 days for the travel pay.

As for putting in for a disability claim do it ASAP as your disability pay if approved will go back to the day you filed. Also if your disability causes you not to be able to work a regular job MAKE SURE YOUR CLAIM STATES "unable to work" it will give you a higher rating.

Muff