Diabetes is now considered a disability due to Agent Orange for some vets.

spec13fe

Mike, prior to my retirement at Pope in 2009 I had my family Dr. diagnose me with type !! diabetese she also penned a report for my medical records at Pope with her diagnosis. I retired in March 7th after 29 years on Hercs and F-4's with the last 17 years at Willow Grove ARS 913th A/W and final 3 years at Pope with the 440th A/W anyway in April I went to the VA in Lillington N.C. and started paper work for diabetes claim and it is still in work! Winston Salem VA just contacted me and told me my paper work was being sent to Philadelphia Pa. since I moved back north in November. The good news I hope is the VA rep here in the Lehigh Valley is already on top of it and working my claim. In fact I am being set up for the physical as we converse. The reason I am telling you this is to stay on top of it (your claim) until ity is finalized. Lots of Luck Jeff

Diabetes has been one of the diseases connected to Agent Orange for several years. I was diagnosed in 2003 and applied for a disability in 2006. They awarded me 40% for a combination of diabetes, pheripheral nuropathy, which was mild at the time, and what I call jungle rot on my feet (it was documented in my military medical record and they gave me 10% for it even though I hadn't asked for it.) I've asked to have my rating increased due to a drastic increase in pain from the neuropathy and am expecting a decision any time. My VA doctor put me on medication for the pain and it has helped. They also gave me hearing aids after I had my hearing tested and found that I had major loss in the high freq areas. To qualify for a disability, a veteran has to have proof of "feet on the ground" in South Vietnam.

if I understand my counselor right, as well as the experience of a couple non-in country troops i know, Diabetes is considered service connected, AO exposure or not. Am I confused on this?? doesn't take much...............But is is included on the list of things they are going evaluate me for that have no connection to AO. I may have misinterpreted it due to my reduced hearing acuity...

Giz