Vietnam approach plates

alanwbaker

Alan you talkin' about those yellow covered jobs??? I have one here somewhere, from I think that I rescued form a trash can when the crew chief put in new ones. I'm talkin' about the pubs that were in the canvas holder there in the flight deck. If that is in fact what you want I will make a concerted effort to dig it up...............

Giz

Hi Giz, The yellow/brown one is the Tactical Airdrome Directory--it's for visual flight. The blue and white ones also in the canvas holder on the flight deck are for instrument flight. I'm looking for one of those--the South Vietnam Low Altitude Approach book.

Thanks,

Alan

Alan you talkin' about those yellow covered jobs??? I have one here somewhere, from I think that I rescued form a trash can when the crew chief put in new ones. I'm talkin' about the pubs that were in the canvas holder there in the flight deck. If that is in fact what you want I will make a concerted effort to dig it up...............

Giz

Anybody out there know where to find a Vietnam low-altitude approach book--especially approaches for Quang Tri? It could help locate an MIA.

To put this in context... Two helicopter pilots were lost in bad weather in 1971. The blue-and-white approach book for South Vietnam will show the prescribed turn points, altitudes, obstacles, and flight path for their approach to Quang Tri.

Alan

Damn, all I have is the yellow one. If it would be any help at all, I'd be more than glad to offer it to you. I'd do 'bout anything to help bring some folks home.

Giz

Yeah, me too. I have the TAD--it looks kinda like this:

but I need the low altitude approach book--it looks kinda like this:

Alan

I have the tad. Alan. I think it was the current one we used in '72. Damn sorry I can't help out. I want to see every one of our guys accounted for, and applaud any efforts bein' expended to do so. If I knew what I could do to help out, I definitely would. let's all make sure the motto:" YOU ARE NOT FORGOTTEN" does not ring hollow. Without gettin' too political, it seems to me that the accounting for all these folks was supposed to be part of the of the Paris peace Accords. Somebody forget somethin'?

Giz

I have the tad. Alan. I think it was the current one we used in '72. Damn sorry I can't help out. I want to see every one of our guys accounted for, and applaud any efforts bein' expended to do so. If I knew what I could do to help out, I definitely would. let's all make sure the motto:" YOU ARE NOT FORGOTTEN" does not ring hollow. Without gettin' too political, it seems to me that the accounting for all these folks was supposed to be part of the of the Paris peace Accords. Somebody forget somethin'?

Giz

Giz

Giz, if you know some pilots from that era, please ask them--they are the most likely to have approach plates.

Alan

Alan - I checked my stuff, but no luck with approach plates at all; I have the TAD and the Enroute Supplement from '68. I checked the Vietnam Archives at Texas Tech and couldn't find any approach plates either. If you haven't already, you might check with the Air Force Historical Research Agency and see if they have any or can point you in the right direction. Their addy is < [email protected] >. Good luck bringing our brothers home.