Hurricane Irene How many of you guys are "bugging out" ??

Mt.crewchief

I was just watching Irene's path a few minutes ago and I got to thinking a lot of you guys are in it's path!!

I don't think the forecasts are wavering any either!!

I was only on the East Coast once & that was at Dover. I can imagine what it would be like there if Irene stays on it's current route!!! I suppose Rehoboth Beach is going to see some damage!

Anyway, right now it sounds like it is the real deal so you guys be careful.

You guys that were stationed at Naha could always head for Naminoue or it's equivalent before they close the main gate!!!!!

It sounds like it could be no joking matter so take care,

Ken

"You guys that were stationed at Naha could always head for Naminoue or it's equivalent before they close the main gate!!!!!"

I did that one time and ran out of money. The Typhoon stalled and I had to climb the fence at the back gate to get back in.

I was only on the East Coast once & that was at Dover. I can imagine what it would be like there if Irene stays on it's current route!!! I suppose Rehoboth Beach is going to see some damage!

Anyway, right now it sounds like it is the real deal so you guys be careful.

It sounds like it could be no joking matter so take care,

Ken

Ken,

My girlfriend's son is an Army firefighter at Pope. He said all the C-130's are gone -- as of yesterday (8/26). All the helo's are in hangers.

Don R.

While I retired in Jan 2007 after 38yrs with the Air Force, we've been in Dover since 1974. The Wing here has seen it's share of Hurricane hits and near misses. They are phenominal when it comes to clearing the flightline of 36 C-5s. Now C-5/C-17s. They usually disperse to the midwest. I can remember only a time or two when they had to tie down a cann queen and hope for the best. They practice mass mobility excercies consistently and had it down to a science.

Looks like this one is petering out a bit. Down to a Cat 1 right now. Everything south of Lewes DE has been under mandatory evacuation. Ocean City is a ghost town too.

I was in Tech School at Keesler in August 1968 when Hurricane Camille ran over us. Took us weeks to dig out of that.

I was at Ocean City on Labor Day weekend in 1970! The beach was really crowded!!! If I remember right, that was the last weekend of the year for the beach!

Maybe the last weekend has already been observed this year!!!

I hope you are ready for whatever comes in! If I remember right, the terrain is somewhat flat around Dover!!

Take care,

Ken

EYE OF THE STORM

Typhoon party at Naha

Any of you guys in the picture???

For the life of me, I have forgotten some of the names!!!

Let me know if you know any of the guys. I have a few more of the same group--one I would call R rated

image0-2-1.jpg

Edited by Mt.crewchief
adding comment

• 2 weeks later...

Funny what triggers a memory. Back in 1964 when I had been recently assigned to Pope, just out of tech school at Amarillo, and still a 1 striper, the first real work I did on a C-130 was to help tie down a couple Herks that couldn't be flown out. I imagine it was 'cause of a hurricane, but still it seems to me that it was early in '64, not hurricane season. Anyway, being very young and still wet behind the ears I thought it was quite exciting to be there doing that!....Chris

1964 was an exciting year! I completed my military obligation in the USAF in November 1964, and went into the aerospace industry, and I'm

still at it, part time. 'Planes R Fun'....

John