Remember this one at TSN

bobdaley

Well, i don't think Don was the first FE, mine from SEA HAD to be. I believe he held a groundline for the Montgolfier brothers. His name was Bob Maloney, and he became the 36th first shirt, at least for a while, when we came back from our summer tour in '72. He was , I think, almost 48 years old then. Great guy, though, taught me a lot about the airplane that he didn't need to. He passed away about seven or eight years ago. Check set, Bob

Giz

[it was the first pressurized passenger airliner and the first to have an FE.

Don R.

So you are saying that's where your FE days started Don...... on the first one that is.......just wonderin'. :) Bill

Edited by DC10FE
pretty obvious

Don, it didn't have an FE. FEs first appeared on flying boats, then on B-29s. It had an aerial engineer which is not the same thing. FEs were trained to compute cruise performance; aerial engineers were not. My dad was an aerial engineer on B-24s. The 307 was developed from the B-17. Note the wing, engines and under carriage.

Seems to have been in several liveries over time but reg number is same...

As Bob's CIC

AIR LAOS

AIGLE AZUR

AIRNAUTIC

TRANS WORLD AIRWAYS <Though here as N1940

Some worthless trivia...

As per AIR AND SPACE dot com F-BELU was built for TWA and was originally registered as N1940, and was sold in '51 to Aigle Azur. Registered as XW-TFP it crashed in '75 near the Mekong River operated by Royal Air Lao

• 2 weeks later...

I was on the 307 that went swimming about 15 min before it splashed. It had just been restored and went to an air show in Montana as a test flight. The fuel gages quit working and they were sticking the tanks to get fuel levels. They misjudged a headwind and used more fuel than expected. They broke an oil line on an engine and worried about fire, landed at paine field in Everett Wa. about 45 miles north of Seattle and parked on the Boeing flight line. I was a flight line mechanic on the line at the time. We had a new line made in the tube shop and installed it. Before it left we got to go on board annd take a look. Then it left low on fuel and ran out on the way to Seattle.

• 2 months later...

Seems to have been in several liveries over time but reg number is same...

As Bob's CIC

AIR LAOS

AIGLE AZUR

AIRNAUTIC

TRANS WORLD AIRWAYS <Though here as N1940

Some worthless trivia...

As per AIR AND SPACE dot com F-BELU was built for TWA and was originally registered as N1940, and was sold in '51 to Aigle Azur. Registered as XW-TFP it crashed in '75 near the Mekong River operated by Royal Air Lao

Like I said, it was CIA.