pump issue: abex vs. parker

unknown52

we had a bad abex pump on #1 eng. swapped out with parker and ran engines. all ops cks were good. original write up was landing gear down and pump light came on. so we recreated it and nothing. we ended doing it again with #2 pump off and went flaps down and while moving flight controls (not what i was supposed to do but new to hydraulics and did it thinking everything would ck good) and pressure dropped to 700 and the pump light came on. switched #1 off and put #2 on (parker pump) and the pressure dropped to 2000 with no light. switched pumps from #1 to #2 and #2 to #1, issue followed pump. been told this is normal but just doesnt make much sense to me, because of the issue of losing the engine with abex on it.

scenarios:

one engine flaps and flight controls moving

parker 700 psi

abex 2000 psi

one engine just flaps

parker 1200 psi

abex 2500 psi

one engine just flight controls

parker 3000 psi +/- 200 psi

abex 3000 psi +/- 200 psi

both engines all tests

3000 psi

well the thing we were wondering was the gap in pressures. and the only thing we could find was under the -1 and it says to expect a drop in pressure but doesnt reference a light coming on. and the dash one says if the light illuminates to shut the pump off, which on approach with one left engine and if the light came on the other left engine that would leave u with no gear.

WELL AGREE WITH THAT BUT IT DOES SEEM DIFFERENT BETWEEN PUMPS AND HAVENT BEEN GIVEN ENOUGH INFO OR REASONING TO LET IT GO WITHOUT ANY INVESTIGATION. WE FILLED OUR 107 FOR LOCKHEED (ONLY GOD KNOWS WHEN THEYLL GET BACK TO US), BUT FIGURED MAYBE SOMEONE HERE HAS SEEN THIS BEFORE AND DID BETTER RESEARCH. AND I HAVE TALKED TO PLENTY OF PILOTS AND FE'S THAT SAY THEY SEE A DRASTIC DROP WITH ONE ENGINE NO LIGHT AND ONLY ONE FE HAS SAID THEY HAVE SEEN THE LIGHT WITH ONE ENGINE. (UNLESS THERE WAS AN ISSUE).

• 3 weeks later...

In normal ops you should Not see the Press Low Light by dropping gear or actuating flight controls.

Natops, if you book read like mine did, the reference to low pressure light coming on with gear actuation is actually in the EP section and its under the pump out procedures where it says you might see this when operating with a single utility pump.

Sorry I cant quote anything, its been about a decade since I had the -1 in my hands.

• 2 weeks later...

If your engine pump puts out 8.6gpm at 2525psi and you'r elevator bypasses at 3gpm when on the stops. That leaves you with 5.6gpm to play with. Guess what? You'r flaps have a 9.8gpm flow rate limit. That leaves you with -4.2gpm. Not every pump puts out 8.6gpm, the old stratopower pumps were only rated for 5.6gpm. Check SBSS when you get a chance or fedlog to get the characteristics for the different pumps, you will be surprised at how far off from the real limits they make pumps. I'm wanting to say that the Abex pump is rated for 9.2gpm but I am not at work to verify this. Look at the id tag on the pump if you want a quick reference.

Anyhow, a drop to 700psi with one engine on speed while running just the flaps through is nothing to worry about and is quite common.

Not everything is in a T.O. and sometimes it takes a little common sense and system know how to explain things. It's too bad that 99% of the people out there just go off of what a book says and never really looks into how something actually works and why it does what it does. I have yet to see a T.O. that tells you how to turn a screwdriver, yet people twist them instead of pushing on them. Using a little common sense goes a long way, although it may be hard to convince an engineer that the utility reservoir drops about 4" when the gear is retracted and it is perfectly normal. All that fluid fills up the nose landing gear actuator when the gear is retracted. There is no book that says that the fluid can drop. This is one of those cases where you have to be able to understand how stuff works.

I have put in countless TO changes just to have them denied then stolen and submitted by dickbags that want credit for everything.

Some quick and easy things that every hydro guy should know about the 130 as far as pressures

- with both engines downsped pressure can drop as low as 2,550psi

- If a suction boost pump fails you can continue to fly, hydraulic pressure can reach as low as 2500psi with a failed suction boost pump

- A clogged vent filter can cause all kinds of weird pressure problems

If your engine pump puts out 8.6gpm at 2525psi and you'r elevator bypasses at 3gpm when on the stops. That leaves you with 5.6gpm to play with. Guess what? You'r flaps have a 9.8gpm flow rate limit. That leaves you with -4.2gpm. Not every pump puts out 8.6gpm, the old stratopower pumps were only rated for 5.6gpm. Check SBSS when you get a chance or fedlog to get the characteristics for the different pumps, you will be surprised at how far off from the real limits they make pumps. I'm wanting to say that the Abex pump is rated for 9.2gpm but I am not at work to verify this. Look at the id tag on the pump if you want a quick reference.

Anyhow, a drop to 700psi with one engine on speed while running just the flaps through is nothing to worry about and is quite common.

Not everything is in a T.O. and sometimes it takes a little common sense and system know how to explain things. It's too bad that 99% of the people out there just go off of what a book says and never really looks into how something actually works and why it does what it does. I have yet to see a T.O. that tells you how to turn a screwdriver, yet people twist them instead of pushing on them. Using a little common sense goes a long way, although it may be hard to convince an engineer that the utility reservoir drops about 4" when the gear is retracted and it is perfectly normal. All that fluid fills up the nose landing gear actuator when the gear is retracted. There is no book that says that the fluid can drop. This is one of those cases where you have to be able to understand how stuff works.

I have put in countless TO changes just to have them denied then stolen and submitted by dickbags that want credit for everything.

Some quick and easy things that every hydro guy should know about the 130 as far as pressures

- with both engines downsped pressure can drop as low as 2,550psi

- If a suction boost pump fails you can continue to fly, hydraulic pressure can reach as low as 2500psi with a failed suction boost pump

- A clogged vent filter can cause all kinds of weird pressure problems

Not to be a smart ass, but the T.O. for the use of hand tools to to include screw drivers is AIR FORCE TO 32-1-101 section 22 :) You have got to remember the Air Force has practically everything!

Not to be a smart ass, but the T.O. for the use of hand tools to to include screw drivers is AIR FORCE TO 32-1-101 section 22 :) You have got to remember the Air Force has practically everything!

It tells you how to make sure that it fits correctly and not to pry with it but I have not seen anything stating that you have to turn it to make it work other than the little note in there that says that you can use a wrench to turn it if needed. Nothing states that you have to twist the handle with your hands though.

It tells you how to make sure that it fits correctly and not to pry with it but I have not seen anything stating that you have to turn it to make it work other than the little note in there that says that you can use a wrench to turn it if needed. Nothing states that you have to twist the handle with your hands though.

Read paragraph 22.4.2.3 (Using a screwdriver) turn clockwise to screw in and counterclockwise to unscrew (that's rightie, tightie leftie loosy):o

Sorry about hijacking this post!!!!:cool:

Edited by bischoffm

Dang... I read it... I could have sworn that it didn't say anything about turning a screwdriver, but I stand corrected...

:) no worries!! I just wanted to correct that point the rest of you pump statement made sense, I've seen no one state that it was wrong, Finding TO's to help the troop is my job, that is why I had the answer to that, here to help.

OK Ben!!!.....now is the time!!....Where are you from and what do you do for leaving!!!....You look like a guy from New Brunswick...Canada.........Do you work on those magnificience machine....C-130 Hercules from Lockleed!!....or else!!!.. Loosen up!!! Do not be afraid!!!Be yourself!!!!!........................The Bad John!!

My name is Ben, I am not from Canada and I still can't figure out who thought that it would be a good idea to make the boost pack manifolds out of cast 2014 aluminum. Sometimes I wonder why a MLG strut only takes 30,000ft lbs of torque to shear off or why J models use less than adequate engine nacelles.

I work on planes and am extremely bored with my job which puts running and looks ahead of knowledge based merit.