Mt. Crew Chief, Here's a picture from CRB.

Sonny

Ken,

Here's one for you. Spent two days on a Swift Boat out of CRB with a friend from the 35th (his cousin was on the Swift Boat). Was only supposed to be gone for a couple of hours. My plane (56-0489) rotated back to the rock without me. AP's took me into custody and made sure I was on the next flight to Naha. Had some 'splaining to do to the line chief (MSgt. Tanner) and the squadron commander. Sgt. Tanner saved my ass.

Sonny

Wow, I wouldn't have had the b***s to try that trick!! I remember Msgt Tanner (kinda). He did save your ass--no doubt about it!

But, it sounds like a good time was had by all!

Thanks for sharing your experience!

TWO DAY'S ???? Isn't that pushing AWOL?

Ken

That was what they were considering. Commander couldn't understand why someone would go AWOL in country. After I explained (actually told the truth!!) what I had done he went through a tirade about how stupid I was and how bad it would have looked if something had happened. I have some more pictures from that trip I will have to post later.

It was a lot of fun at time and I had some real fine meals. The Navy sure knows how to eat!

Sonny

I can sorta relate. A few months back, we carried a female Army aviation ?squadron? commander while in the desert. She promised to take us to some outposts if we could get the necessary paperwork signed by our squadron commander. My AC gently asked the question was told "hell no" and was promised a good frying should we attempt such a thing.

Sonny, one question did this escapade happen before or after your Crew Chief of the Month award???? Ken

Ken,

It happened before the Crew Chief of the Month awards(yes I got more than one!). I promised Sgt. Tanner I would behave and for the most part I did. He did introduce a new crew member to me and told him "Follow this man on how he performs his duties and you will go far. Just don't follow how he behaves when he is off duty." I wonder what he meant by that?

Sonny

We stopped at Hue one day on a medevac. I didn't have anything to do, so I went to the Army chow tent and scrounged a big pot of spaghetti and Meatballs, with garlic bread and all. Got back to the flight line and the airplane was gone...The ALCE jeep drove up and the Major told me to get in the jeep, the AC was waiting for me at the end of the runway, and "By the way, he is major pissed at you!"... Got to the plane, put the food in the galley and off we went to DaNang... when we landed, the AC told me to follow him out to the end of the wing... He chewed my a$$ severely and told me if I EVER did that again without telling him, he would personally see that I was busted to AB!!! Then he said, "okay, let's go have some spaghetti..." I think smelling the spaghetti for the duration of the flight mellowed him a bit. In any event, I never left the airplane again without telling him exactly where I was going and what I was going to do!! (I once managed 5 gallons of ice cream at Ban Me Thuot.) Ah, the good old days!!!

We stopped at Hue one day on a medevac. I didn't have anything to do, so I went to the Army chow tent and scrounged a big pot of spaghetti and Meatballs, with garlic bread and all. Got back to the flight line and the airplane was gone...The ALCE jeep drove up and the Major told me to get in the jeep, the AC was waiting for me at the end of the runway, and "By the way, he is major pissed at you!"... Got to the plane, put the food in the galley and off we went to DaNang... when we landed, the AC told me to follow him out to the end of the wing... He chewed my a$$ severely and told me if I EVER did that again without telling him, he would personally see that I was busted to AB!!! Then he said, "okay, let's go have some spaghetti..." I think smelling the spaghetti for the duration of the flight mellowed him a bit. In any event, I never left the airplane again without telling him exactly where I was going and what I was going to do!! (I once managed 5 gallons of ice cream at Ban Me Thuot.) Ah, the good old days!!!

How is it that only the really good AC's and NCOIC's would rip your ass for messin' up, when ya deserved it, and then that was the end of it, while the lame-ass ones never let it go?????????????? That was one lesson I learned that served me well many years later. And I learned that to do it the right way was really, really hard sometimes............Just one more benefit of bein' part of the trashhauler tribe, I guess

giz

Thats why they call them lame-ass ones, the good thing now is I no longer have to put up with them. That brings me to my main theory of life 50% of the people you meet are nice decent honest people the other 50% are A#*holes, the good news is you doint have to hang around them most of the time

While TDY to France (I can't remember how to spell that French name-Exevereu??) I got wind of one of our planes going to Mildenhall, England for a 3 day static display. Three of my buddies and I asked if we could ride along and do the tourist thing in England. CO said go ahead. We arrived in Mildenhall right on time , the AC told us when to be back at the plane, and the four of us caught the train for London. 2 1/2 days later the 4 of us show up at Mildenhall and the 776th plane is gone. Seems the air show (or whatever) was canceled and our plane departed back to France without us. Well, there we are, 4 GIs in civilian clothes, no passports, no paper work at all. We got locked into a small room at the airfield for several hours while forces beyond our limited resourses tracked down all the weird details of what went wrong and just exactly who we were. Believe it or not, upon return to France not one word was said. the only thing I heard over the grape vine is that the CO was pissed 'cause he had to send a squadron plane to Mildenhall to pickup 4 1 stripers. Love London!! Chris

"Bout all I can do for ya is lend ya some support and encouragement, for what that is worth..........Might not help the physical issues but maybe the emotional stuff. I am sure the rest of the troops on this site feel the same way. We may not be able to walk in your shoes, but we sure as hell can walk beside ya, right guys????? and if you need some explanation,etc. of any of your treatments, meds whatever, my wife says she would be glad to help you out. and believe me, she has her shit together when it comes to this sort of thing, of course she married me, so that ain't necessarily obvious. What do ya say, guys, let's raise a glass, say a prayer, have a moment of silence, throw a penny into a wishin' well, anything to give Dan a little more runway and a little more airspeed. he ain't out there alone, and just the luck of the draw that it ain't one of us in his situation.

Hang in there, brother.

Giz

Sonny, All I've got to say, is that you got to see and experience something that the rest of us probably never dreamed of seeing!!

Just another experience you had due to your ties to our C-130 Herkybird!!!

Worth the ass chewin wasn't it!!!!

It was worth everything I had to go through. If I had the chance I'd do it again!

Sonny

How many crew chief's you know that didn't get a chewing now and then from a AC that had a bad nite or FE who wanted to give you a bad time knowing all the time the plane was ready to go.

None, we all had those but all in all, most of the crews I dealt with were professional.

Sonny

My question is did you get to "tune up" that thar Ma Deuce during those two days?anim_50cal.gif

No, but I would have if they would let me! I have a picture I am looking for that shows where they shot a few across the bow of some sampan (or junk or whatever they called them fishing boats!!) when they didn't respond to their call.

Sonny