Green Card---anybody got one???

Mt.crewchief

As the title says--did any of you Ubon guys happen to save a green card from downtown? If you were there, you will know what I mean!!

Unless of course you never left base--then you might not know what I am talking about!!

I know I have one I saved as a souvenir but I can't find it right now!

Of course I found the one I've got ! Either that or someone gave it to me!!!

Ken

Edited by Mt.crewchief
changing wording !!!!

Ken,

Don't remember a green card. Did get arrested by the AP's for refusing to give my name or show them my ID. As I recall (was a little under the weather at the time) there was this disturbance in this bar where I was sitting and having a sociable drink or two (who knows, lost count). For some unknown reason they thought I was involved with these other rowdy people. They asked for my ID and I politely told them I was told never to give up my ID card to anyone. Needless to say , I was arrested and put in a cell. I sat in that cell until I returned to my senses and we got things cleared up. Gave them my ID and they called someone ay Ubon. Never did find out who they talked to but the AP's were really nice about it and let me go without any charges.

Thinking back about some of things I did in SEA, I led a charmed life in the AF. Ah,memories!

Sonny

Okay, here goes! The green card was a card you received from some people at a table or whatever positioned near the exit door from some of the bars downtown. If, for some reason you exited with one of the female patrons of the establishment,(for reasons I won't explain here), you received a green card stating that she had been checked for certain diseases (again I wont explain which diseases), on such and such date. Usually the girl had a checkup once a week and I am sure the check up was sponsored by the US Govt.! If her name was on the list, you were given a green card the size of a business card with her name on it. It was also numbered! Then here comes the best part. Sometime every week the green card numbers were announced over the radio which had not passed their weekly check-up! If it happened to be a number which you had in your possession, you were instructed to report to the base clinic for a series of shots to rid yourself of the disease which you had surely contacted!! If I remember right the unlucky guys had to get penicillin shots twice a day for a week or whatever the proper cure time was. I think this was called the 9 and 3 club!! I remember the numbers being read off at the Airmans Club and everybody would stop what they were doing and get out their green cards to see if they were a winner (???) Funnier yet, the Sgt. at the Maint. shack or whatever it was called was seen (by me) standing in the line at the 9 & 3 club waiting for his shots.

Now, I am not making this up, and one of you guys that spent much time at Ubon and the surrounding areas must know what I am talking about!!

I guess I will have keep looking for the one I have to substantiate my claim!!! Of course the one I have I must have found on a table at the Airman's Club or somewhere like that!!

Listening to the moans and groans of the guys that had the lucky numbers was usually followed by cheers from some!!!!!!

Just a piece of history,

Ken

Okay, here goes! The green card was a card you received from some people at a table or whatever positioned near the exit door from some of the bars downtown. If, for some reason you exited with one of the female patrons of the establishment,(for reasons I won't explain here), you received a green card stating that she had been checked for certain diseases (again I wont explain which diseases), on such and such date. Usually the girl had a checkup once a week and I am sure the check up was sponsored by the US Govt.! If her name was on the list, you were given a green card the size of a business card with her name on it. It was also numbered! Then here comes the best part. Sometime every week the green card numbers were announced over the radio which had not passed their weekly check-up! If it happened to be a number which you had in your possession, you were instructed to report to the base clinic for a series of shots to rid yourself of the disease which you had surely contacted!! If I remember right the unlucky guys had to get penicillin shots twice a day for a week or whatever the proper cure time was. I think this was called the 9 and 3 club!! I remember the numbers being read off at the Airmans Club and everybody would stop what they were doing and get out their green cards to see if they were a winner (???) Funnier yet, the Sgt. at the Maint. shack or whatever it was called was seen (by me) standing in the line at the 9 & 3 club waiting for his shots.

Now, I am not making this up, and one of you guys that spent much time at Ubon and the surrounding areas must know what I am talking about!!

I guess I will have keep looking for the one I have to substantiate my claim!!! Of course the one I have I must have found on a table at the Airman's Club or somewhere like that!!

Listening to the moans and groans of the guys that had the lucky numbers was usually followed by cheers from some!!!!!!

Just a piece of history,

Ken

That is outrageous. I've never heard of such a thing!

Just a piece of history,

Ken

That is outrageous. I've never heard of such a thing!

GVS, It may sound outrageous, and you may not have ever heard of such a thing, but it is true. The longer this thread stays alive the more it seems less outrageous!!

I may have CRS and a vivid imagination, but even I couldn't have thought that story up!!

Sonny, the bar that I saw the green cards issued(Okay, I'll admit it was I who received one) was the big open air bar in Ubon . Always had good music and lots of good looking girls. Now, not all of the girls had green cards, just the ones who were in the profession. Which I might add, most of them were!! I remember, that if you left with one of the girls with a green card you had at least some sense of safety!!! Of course, a lot of things can happen in two weeks between check-ups!!

I also am not making up the part about the line at the dispensary waiting for their 9AM or 3PM shots. By the way I never stood in that line-----

Like Sonny, that's my story and I am sticking to it!!

Ken

By the way, I was at Ubon in 1968 from Sept thru Nov.

I may have CRS and a vivid imagination, but even I couldn't have thought that story up!!

Sonny, the bar that I saw the green cards issued(Okay, I'll admit it was I who received one) was the big open air bar in Ubon . Always had good music and lots of good looking girls.

I also am not making up the part about the line at the dispensary waiting for their 9AM or 3PM shots. By the way I never stood in that line-----

Like Sonny, that's my story and I am sticking to it!!

Ken

By the way, I was at Ubon in 1968 from Sept thru Nov.

Ken,

1. I have no doubt you are telling the truth

2. The description of the bar sounds very familiar. I'm pretty sure I was in it at one time or another.

3. I, too, remember the line for VD sick call. When I was there between Jan-Oct '68, there was a special time set aside for you go to the dispensary if you thought you had VD.

Sonny

I know what club your talking about it was a cross the street from the Fairlane, each day a 4pm they would have a tea dance.And

the G.I"s would come down for a NOONER. " LIFE IS GOOD

Sure, Now you tell me about the NOONERS!!!!!!!

I didn't mean to post this twice!! I guess i was thinking about the Nooners.

Edited by Mt.crewchief
Mistake made