Ubon, Thailand

Sonny

I used to wonder out the gate between the flt. line and living area to some hooches sat up as small bars and sit and drink whatever they had.

I don't think they even had a juke box at that time.

Maybe 2 girls and 2 tables and not much danceing room. Not that I danced.

donwon,

I'm talking about ON BASE. I missed my ride to my plane one afternoon and had to walk. I took a short cut through a field instead of following the road. I ran into a Thai MP who did not speak English. He handed me a card at rifle point that said something to the effect of "I am a Thai MP. I do not speak or understand English. Please follow me or you will be shot" Scared the s#@t out of me. I followed him and we found someone who spoke English. After I explained what I was doing and showed him my ID they gave me a ride to the maintenance shack. Never missed my ride again.

Anybody else have anything like that happen to them? This was in 1968.

I was with 7ACCS (ABCCC) at Udorn in '68 - '69. Before moving across the runway into the Armco-clad revetments, our Herks parked on PSP/dirt at the south end of the runway, across the runway from the Air America ramp. Our squadron area was within a very short walk from the birds. One of our guys from Alleycat, in uniform of course, walked out to check on a bird and the non-English-speaking Thai guard stuck an M1 carbine in his belly button. Fortunately, someone came along and sorted things out, but there was a large pucker factor for a few minutes. Makes a good story now; wasn't at all funny back then.

• 1 month later...

Was he a Thai or a Nung? We had a lot of Nung guards at Ubon. They walked the perimeter right behind the Blind Bat hooch. One night infiltrators tried to attack the Blind Bat hooches but one of the Nungs managed to fire his shotgun when they were cutting his throat. However, Ubon was a RTAF base.

Was he a Thai or a Nung? We had a lot of Nung guards at Ubon. They walked the perimeter right behind the Blind Bat hooch. One night infiltrators tried to attack the Blind Bat hooches but one of the Nungs managed to fire his shotgun when they were cutting his throat. However, Ubon was a RTAF base.

To be honest Sam, I really don't know. I assumed he was Thai. Didn't think to ask!

Sonny