Fate of 62-1825

bobdaley

Bobby said that 825 was supposed to go to Nashville to use in their Foreign Training mission but that their mission had changed and they did not need the sim.

I had not heard of a change, anyone know what that is about?

If they don't need it, it would fit in my back yard.

Bob

somebody help my memory. I had, at one time, learned to operate the fuel panel, but can't for the life of me know remember all of it. In the picture of the panel above the the eng's seat, the switches are in the horizontal position, the ones on the right are diagonal.I remember something about crossfeeds and tank to engine and all that, but real real fuzzy...... Refresh my feeble memory. please.probably no difficulty at all for some of you, but remember I was just a dumb-ass loady. Besides when we rent that Herk next year at langley, I might want to try that seat, too..............at an additional fee i would guess.

She served a long career as an EC-130E ABCCC bird with the 7th ACCS / 42nd ACCS. She hit 30,000 hours in Sep 1993 during Bosnia operations. The panel you are looking at is the UARRSI panel installed in 1977. She's been sitting in AMARG for almost 10 years now.

The remains of the airframe in AMARG below:

1825Side32.jpg

1825Side22.jpg

• 1 month later...

Was this the original ABCCC? The capsule was built it ~90 days for ~$90M back in 1964. That's ~$630M in today's Monopoly $! I, as a lowly A2C Loadmaster, was sent to LTV near Dallas to learn how to load the thing. With their help I wrote the "offishull" loading instructions, which I aSSumed would forever be followed to the letter. I just do not remember the tail no.

At the time, the airplane was a Dyess bird, which was sent along with 5 others and 9 combat-ready aircrews to the brand new 4486th Test Squadron, of the also brand new 4485th Test Wing, at Eglin. I only flew a few test rides around Eglin in it, and the capsule was then pulled and set on the ground for some testing. IIRC, I got to sit up on the flight deck on those flights. That ended my association with it.

Just remembered, we did fly it to Langley once, to show it to all the TAC brass. It was a fun experience, as TAC officers would come over, look around, and if they were the ranking dude they assumed their role as being in charge of everything. As soon as someone who outranked them arrived, they lost the attitude and just started talking to us aircrew like one of the boys.

LTV installed 4 weird looking pods on the outboard wing sections, 2 per side. They had little propellers at the front, for self-contained electrical power (mini RATs). I was told they were to help ground troops communicate, as the dense 'Nam jungle sucked up their radio waves. The pods were supposed to receive, amplify, and retransmit their messages automatically, AM, FM and whatever else was being used. None of this was classified back then, dunno about them after they went to 'Nam. For me, 4 years was enough.

I had a bunch of slides of it, but unfortunately lost all of them because of mildew. Wonder if anyone has any good photos of it.

[ATTACH=CONFIG]2533[/ATTACH]