Anything, Anywhere, Anytime and Trash Haulers

I've sent the manuscripts for my books to the publisher and they should be available soon. Anything, Anywhere, Anytime is a history of the USAAF, USAF troop carrier mission and the tactical airlift mission that followed it. It should be a must-read for all veterans as well as modern military members. No other book has chronicled the entire mission from the troop carrier perspective. Trash Haulers is a revision of my 1988 C-130 book (with the title I hated.) I've done quite of revision and added a few things. They both should be available for purchase around the first of the year if not sooner.

I bought Sam's 1988 book in a Brussels book store when it first came out. I paid around $15.00 for it. A new one goes for almost $80.00 today on Amazon. Lots of interviews with some old, old friends and acquaintences.

Looking forward to the revision.

Don R.

• 1 month later...

The revision of the C-130 book is in the final phase before it'll be released. They're currently making corrections to the Galley which should be complete in the next 10-15 days. I've set up a page for my writing at www.sammcgowan.com/author.html. Instructions for ordering autographed copies is on there. The book will sell for $23.95 and I'm adding $5.00 for shipping to that. Right now I'm not set up to take credit cards but am working on it. FYI, the airplane shown on the cover is 64-0556, which had been delivered to Sewart a few months before I took the picture at Dong Ha in October-November 1965. According to Lars O.'s info, it went to CCK and remained in the Pacific for its entire flying career. It ended up at Hurlburt first as a maintenance trainer and then as a loadmaster trainer. My understanding is it has since been scrapped. At this point I don't know when the troop carrier/tactical airlift history will be ready. It's still in production and they have yet to send me the galleys for proofing. I actually sent it in first and was expecting it to be ready first, but they evidently were able to format the C-130 book first. Regarding the 1988 book, I saw some copies through Amazon.com starting at around $13.00 for used and closer to $100 for new.

• 3 weeks later...

Trash Haulers, the C-130 book, is in print. I'm posting ordering information on my site at www.sammcgowan.com/author.html. The troop carrier book will be out in a couple of weeks. I ordered some copies of Trash Haulers yesterday and they tell me I should receive them by the end of the month. If you want to order a signed copy, I'll be happy to sell you one! Its also available on amazon.com and barnes and noble as well as from the publisher, Author House. My understanding is that electronic copies have to be ordered from Author House but they can be read on Kindle and Nook. By the way, my good buddy Tom Stalvey, who was a loadmaster at Sewart and Clark, is working on his memoir and it'll be out soon as well. Tom was at Clark in the 29th at the height of the Vietnam War (68-69.) He was flying with Col. Coleman when they got shot up over A Loi and flew about 25 drop missions over Khe Sanh. I'll be putting a link to Tom's book on my page as soon as it goes lives. Tom is the current treasurer of the TCTAA.

• 2 weeks later...

Sam,

I don't know if this is related to whatever ails this site, but when I click the links above, McAfee warns me that it's a dangerous site. I figured you might want to know.

It must be a problem with your McAfee. When I click on the link, it goes to the site with no warnings. I use Trend Micro. I use to get warnings when I'd go to my own sites with McAfee but don't get them anymore. It's probably because McAfee doesn't recognize the domain.

Trash Haulers is now in print and available from various book sellers. Anything, Anywhere, Anytime will be available within the next few weeks. If anyone wants an autographed copy, I am offering them for $28.95 for Trash Haulers and $31.95 for Anything, Anywhere, Anytime. If you want both, send me a check or money order for $56.00. Make it for $75.00 and I'll throw in a copy of The Cave, my C-130 flare mission novel. My address is Sam McGowan, 3727 Hill Family Lane, Missouri City, TX 77459.

Trash Haulers is a revision of my previous C-130 book, with quite a bit of new material. Anything, Anywhere, Anytime is a history of the troop carrier mission and the tactical airlift mission that followed it from World War II through the end of the Vietnam War - it's a must read for anyone interested in airlift history. There has never been a book published that covers the airlift mission in its entirety. The Cave is a novel I wrote several years ago based on my experiences exploring caves in Kentucky and flying the flare mission over Laos in 1966. Details are on the net - go to www.sammcgowan.com/author.html for links to descriptions of all three books. I am expecting a shipment of the C-130 books any day now and will have some left over after I fill the orders I already have.

• 1 month later...

Both books are now in print and are available from online book sellers such as Amazon.com and Barnes and Noble. If you want signed copies, order direct from me at Sam McGowan, 3727 Hill Family Lane, Missouri City, TX 77459. I'm trying to keep copies on hand but allow a couple of weeks in case I have to restock. TRASH HAULERS is $28.95 and ANYTHING, ANYTIME, ANYWHERE is $31.95, including shipping. Or, I am offering both books for $56.00. Make it $75.00 and get a copy of my Vietnam C-130 flare mission novel THE CAVE. Full details of each book and links to their pages on Amazon and the publisher's pages are off of my home page - www.sammcgowan.com. They will eventually be available electronically, but will have to be ordered direct from the publisher as I understand it. However, they will work on Kindle, etc.

I'm working on getting them in book stores in areas where there are a lot of C-130/airlift folks. You can always have your local book store order them but the fastest way to get them is to order online or direct from me. Sorry, I have not set up to take credit cards - it's a lot of hassle and involves fees. I will take checks or money orders.

• 2 weeks later...

If you have McAfee and get a "risky site" message if you go to www.sammcgowan.com, ignore it. McAfee Site Advisor has a reputation for misidentfying sites as "risky" and for taking a long time to rectify problems. I had gotten messages before but not in a long time, but today I sent out a BCC Email to several people on my Email list from [email protected] and the next time I went to my home page, I got the message. I then did some research on the Net and learned that there have been a lot of completes about Site Advisor.

• 3 months later...

Sam, looking to obtain both Trash Haulers and Anything, Anywhere, Anytime. I would enjoy an autographed copy of both. I was stationed 374 FMS Sept 1968 to June 1970 Naha Okinawa PCSed back to Chanute then went to Ubon 1971- 1972 Sept Became an ART 1985 Willow Grove ARS C-130E's finished my career Pope AFB 2009 as Avonics Branch chief. I just finished reading History TAC in Southeast Asia all 663 pages . I would like to read your books and by the way just got The Cave from a mutual friend of ours Ed Hubrich. I would appreciate you putting me in the direction to get these books. Thanks Jeff

• 3 weeks later...

Sam, looking to obtain both Trash Haulers and Anything, Anywhere, Anytime. I would enjoy an autographed copy of both. I was stationed 374 FMS Sept 1968 to June 1970 Naha Okinawa PCSed back to Chanute then went to Ubon 1971- 1972 Sept Became an ART 1985 Willow Grove ARS C-130E's finished my career Pope AFB 2009 as Avonics Branch chief. I just finished reading History TAC in Southeast Asia all 663 pages . I would like to read your books and by the way just got The Cave from a mutual friend of ours Ed Hubrich. I would appreciate you putting me in the direction to get these books. Thanks Jeff

Jeff, send me a check for $56.00 at Sam McGowan, 3727 Hill Family Lane, Missouri City, TX 77459. For $75.00 I'm including my Vietnam novel The Cave (also about C-130s.)

Check out Amazon.com -- Click here: http://www.amazon.com/Anything-Anywhere-Anytime-Tactical-Airlift/dp/1468505637/ref=sr_1_7?ie=UTF8&qid=1337169313&s

I wonder why the new books are so much cheaper than a used edition?

Don R.

Since the book just came out in January, there are no "used" editions. There are book sellers who have access to wholesale prices who advertize "used books" on Amazon which really aren't used. Right now Amazon has this book for about $2.00 off.

• 9 months later...