C-130 @ MacDill

DC10FE

Here's a question for all you guys/gals still flying the C-130.

Late last Saturday afternoon, there was a C-130 flying north of MacDill AFB at around 5,000' (kinda hard to judge the altitude from 20 miles away). He was up there for about 3 hours, but the interesting thing was that there was an A-10 about 1/2 mile in trail the entire time. Any ideas?

C-130's are pretty rare at MacDill, so I was really enjoying the noise. My next door neighbor, on the other hand, told me she thought the noise annoying. I held my tongue. Bitch!!!

Thanks,

Don R.

Don, I do not know about the A-10 but about once a month while I lived there (just nortth of the base) a Herk would fly into MacDill to provide a platform for the Central Command and Special Ops guys to get their required jumps in to stay qualified for their jump pay. The A-10 might have been a photo op plane just a guess.

Muff

Muff,

This guy wasn't flying any kind of racetrack or holding pattern. It was more like a large circle almost over Tampa International, with the A-10 in tow. Never saw anyone jump out, although after 3 hours of that crap, I'd be tempted to jump.

As for my neighbor, she's actually a nice lady; just very opinionated. But yeah, Larry, she did vote for nObama but regrets it now. She can't be all bad, I guess.

Giz, I used to have a t-shirt that read "Jet noise -- the sound of freedom."

Don R.

• 2 weeks later...

There was/is an aeromed outfit at MacDill we used to support with a weekend Herk from Dobbins. On Sat. it took the aeromeds up for 4 hours and they played doctor while flying mostly in circles. Don't know about the A-10 though, might'a been lost, ha ha. Always enjoyed that TDY and ate breakfast at Pop's and son and lunch at the Cuban Cafe then OD'ed on crab legs for dinner all on Dale Mabry blvd.. Bill

Edited by Spectre623
lousy spelin'