Khaki

snowyday

I was issued 1505's in Jan 67 along with the rest of my finely tailored wardrobe! I think I wore them at a change of command at Naha and possibly one other time. They were a lot cooler than the blues for sure. I never wore any of my dress uniforms more than once or twice as I spent most of my illustrious AF career in Southeast Asia.

I still have my issue dress uniforms but can't wear them as they shrunk terribly over the years!!

Ken

Anyway, re uniforms, what was the designation for the self-purchase blue long sleeve shirt, that you wore with a tie, and matched up with your blues trousers???????

I loved that shirt, it was a wool blend and really looked sharp (unlike the crap they have now). They phased it out sometime in the later 80's

I remember wearing khakis, only they had spec 4 stripes on them :)

• 2 weeks later...

Marvin,

In your avatar photo, it looks like you're wearing khakis; or 505's. There were also 1505's and 505 shorts with knee socks! I don't remember when they phased them out, but it was sometime early in my USAF career.

Don R.

Don, there was a khaki uniform with shorts, knee socks and a bush jacket but it was phased out in 1963. They were also phasing out the 505s and replacing them with 1505s. We got two sets of 505s and one of 1505s when I went through basic in July, '63. They quit issuing not long after that. There was also an optional long-sleeve polyster shirt but you had to buy it in the BX; it wasn't issued.

• 2 weeks later...

When I went through Basic in 74 we were issued 1505s. The new short sleeved blue shirts had just been approved by the Uniform Board, but was not included as part of the basic issue. I seem to remember buying one in Clothing Sales at LRAFB, late 76, just before PCSing to Woodbridge. Regarding that long sleeve, dark blue shirt.... can't remember the designation, but man did it look sharp. I bought one to wear home on my first Christmas leave and remember walking around in the airport thinking I was a hot stuff crew doggy. It was also the only uniform authorized to have military creases in the back. I believe it left the building sometime around the late 70s, early 80s.

When I went through Basic in 74 we were issued 1505s. The new short sleeved blue shirts had just been approved by the Uniform Board, but was not included as part of the basic issue. I seem to remember buying one in Clothing Sales at LRAFB, late 76, just before PCSing to Woodbridge. Regarding that long sleeve, dark blue shirt.... can't remember the designation, but man did it look sharp. I bought one to wear home on my first Christmas leave and remember walking around in the airport thinking I was a hot stuff crew doggy. It was also the only uniform authorized to have military creases in the back. I believe it left the building sometime around the late 70s, early 80s.

I really liked the look of that uniform with the LS dark blue shirt. I wore it when I could, i.e., not in fatigues.... Just a sharp looking shirt with the creases, etc.

Wonder why they never made that an issue item?????????? If I remember right, almost my entire LM class from Sheppard bought one and wore them home from tech school. The few times I actually wore anything but zoombags or fatigues, it was usually that combination. I had a formal picture for my parents taken in it. I have it around here somewhere and last I saw it, I was amazed at how sharp and how damn young I was back then. At least I got to grow old......................

Giz

Golly, I feel like a kid, just shy of 63!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! Anyway, re uniforms, what was the designation for the self-purchase blue long sleeve shirt, that you wore with a tie, and matched up with your blues trousers????????? Is that still in use????? Like Larry, I hardly ever wore my blue stuff, probably 80% of the time i wore a zoom bag, whether flyin' or not.

Giz

I'm not sure that shirt had a designation since it wasn't issued. If I remember correctly, you could get them at clothing sales or in the BX. Never heard a name for it. They were still authorized when I got out in 1975.

Yes, the Army, Marine Corps and Navy all had khaki uniforms in World War II. They were long sleeve and were worn with ties. Watch some of the military films from the period and you'll see them. There was an olive drab fatigue uniform and olive drab coveralls. The Class A Army uniform was brown. Officers wore tan slacks called "pinks."